Being an Introverted Teen | Teen Ink

Being an Introverted Teen

By Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other
Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other

“Because here's the thing about a book: when you pick up a story, you put down your own”
― Holly Smale, All That Glitters

If someone would ask me how was your day or what did you do, I’d say I went to school, learnt about Shakespeare and spend majority of the day in the library or in class finishing assignments. Maybe you were hoping I’d say i got to play with my friends or enjoyed their company in the cafeteria or got in trouble because i was chatting in class, sorry, that doesn’t happen. I’m Noah and I’m an introvert.

I started high school this year and I was very nervous. When i first walked in the building I thought i got lost already. There weren’t even groups of students, but a full never ending ocean of them that turned the hallway in a beehive, whose noise deafened. My first classes were boring; I never liked History. Then I had art. I love painting. Pencils aren’t my best friends, but colors I can always trust. The teacher said i had talent and my drawings were atypical. I asked her what it meant and not only that. She used a lot of words like eloquent and picturesque. I like learning new stuff and i pay attention to details.

My favourite class of the day was Writing. Maybe it’s because i enjoyed reading and I spent some of my free time writing poetry or stories. The first question Mr. Hale asked, was about summer reading. I wanted to speak, but nobody from the class did. I’d feel a bit embarrassed if I were the only student speaking. I don’t like being in the center of attention. So I didn’t say a word until the end of the period. While I was walking out of class, my professor told me to try and participate and if I didn’t that could affect my grade.

The bus ride home was not how I expected. I thought the other high schoolers would call me names or push me, but instead it was like I didn’t exist. While reading Fallen, I was listening to different conversations on the bus. Looked like the theme of the day was the party of one of the secondary students. Girls were talking about what they would wear and guys trying to figure out how to lie to their parents that it was a no-drinking-no-smoking party, and convincing their fathers to let them borrow his car.

I told my parents how my first day went. Of course because they asked me. I don’t talk much. I also have trouble telling others how I feel. And that’s maybe the reason why I don’t get in conversations or even try to make one possible friend. I think your best friend should be somebody who is like you and shares the same interests. I’m a good listener and give useful advice. When having trouble with homework or fights with friends, my brother always comes and asks me for help.

Before bed I tried to finish Fallen but I couldn’t stop thinking about that party. I don’t even know why I was, but something was telling me to go, like a magnet in the distance attracting the opposite side that actually doesn’t match. So I decided to put myself in the most uncomfortable situation of my life. My parents were very surprised to hear that I was going to a high school party, but in a good way. They said they were happy i was “breaking my shell” and trying to socialize.

I got to the party fast and let me just tell you the party and the people were wild! I sat in one of the living room couches, quiet and awkward. A boy sat close to me and asked why wasn’t I enjoying the party. I didn’t answer. Calmly he asked for my name. My reply was: “Does it matter?” I was scared to tell him I was a shy, boring and an annoying person. Well that’s what others thought of me. In my defence I was smart, caring and a bit socially awkward because of my personality. The guy said, “Of course it matters who you are”. His name was Chris. He started telling me about himself and introduced me to his friends. I realized they were all very nice and different, but bond with each other pretty well. During the night they asked about me so I told them about my art and poetry.

The next day at school everything was supposed to be the same, but when I walked in, Chris and his friends were waiting for me in class and started talking to me, like normal friends. When I first met them and talked to them, I thought they were keeping me company because it was obvious I wasn’t a party fan. I decided to tell them how I really felt. Chris and the others said they really liked me and enjoyed my company. They liked the way I talked and my writing and art canvases. I felt so happy that they accepted me how I was and didn’t want me to be different. Maybe I was wrong saying that you and your best friend should be alike, they could be aliens, at least they love you for who you are and make you feel comfortable.