My Clumsiness Made Me Break My Elbow | Teen Ink

My Clumsiness Made Me Break My Elbow

February 20, 2019
By myahgirard BRONZE, Hamilton, Montana
myahgirard BRONZE, Hamilton, Montana
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
your mom


If you didn’t know already, I am very very clumsy. I like looking away while I’m walking, and then I end up running into things. So this is the story of how I fractured my elbow riding rollerblades.

That week I was having a hard week. I swear, everyday I would fall up the stairs or just randomly fall for no reason, and I wasn’t doing it on purpose. Anyway, one day my mom had to leave for work for an emergency. So, she called the babysitter. This babysitter was very old. She had grey hair and crusty fingernails, sort of like my English teacher. I liked her, though, because she brought my sister and me popsicles. We always ate them at like seven in the morning. This was not good for my mental health. This is probably why I am the way I am.

That day my sister was annoying me so much. I decided that I would go for a walk. I got the dog on the leash, and out we went. You see, my dogs are fat. Probably because I feed them my leftover dinner under the table so I can have dessert, but my mom doesn’t know about that. I still like my dog, she just can’t sit on my lap like most dogs. Anyway, as we were walking, she saw another dog. This dog was very big. It looked like a pitbull, and it was grey with a white chest. This pitbull started barking, and my little dog, Macee, started running. I accidentally dropped the leash, and if you let Macee go, then she runs away, and it's hard to catch her. I started running after my dog, but she was very fast, which I thought was crazy because she’s very fat. Finally, I just started walking home.

When I got home, my babysitter said, “You leave with the dog, and don’t come back with one?” I laughed and said that she had ran away. My sister started screaming because she thought we were never gonna find that dog again. We tried to calm her down and explain that the dog was just around the block. So, my babysitter got in her car and went to go find her. About three seconds after she walked out of the door, she came back in with the dog who had been sitting on the step.

After all of this commotion, I was done with the day. I had these really cool pair of roller blades. They were blue, purple, and pink. I decided I would go out and ride them. At the time, they were building lots of houses in my neighborhood, so there was dirt and gravel all over the road. I was only 11, so I didn’t know that it wasn’t safe to go over rocks with rollerblades. I went around the block behind my house, which luckily didn’t have any gravel. I came around the corner and decided I would go around one more block in front of my house. At this point, I was very tired, and so I wasn’t really paying attention. I turned around the corner of the second block, and there was a huge pile of gravel on that street. So I went around it.

“AHHHH!” I screamed as I came crashing to the ground. I had tripped on a rock that was in the middle of the road. When I was little, I liked to go to the doctor and the hospital. The fall actually didn't even hurt, but I wanted to go to the hospital, so I pretended like it hurt really bad. I got to the house and started fake crying. The babysitter got me an ice pack, and I sat on the couch. My mom soon pulled up with her friend Katie who was an EMT. She felt the bone in my elbow and said it was either broken or fractured. This made me happy because that meant I got to go to the hospital! We arrived at the hospital, and they made me take a bunch of pictures of my elbow with the X-ray machine. They made me twist my elbow all around in different directions. Now that hurt. We waited in a room for the results. When the doctor got back, he told my mom that I had fractured my elbow. He kept on explaining that he had never seen the fracture I had, and that it was very rare. This made me feel special. I started smiling when he told me I had a rare fracture, and he thought that was weird. I had to go to physical therapy six months after that and see Dr. Woods every three weeks. This was good for me, because I didn’t have to do any chores, my sister did. Today, I still have problems with my elbow. If I lift super heavy things, it starts hurting. That is why a fracture is worse than a break, because it takes longer to heal. This is the story of how I broke my elbow.


The author's comments:

my teacher is forcing me do this. its how i broke my elbow.