The Orange House | Teen Ink

The Orange House

March 29, 2019
By DillonSnow BRONZE, Hemet, California
DillonSnow BRONZE, Hemet, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I think of nostalgia, I think of things from when I was a child that I cherish the most and wish were still in my life. For example, I think of old games that I used to play all day because there was nothing better to do. No school, no chores, no work, not a thing to worry about.


The most important thing and the one thing that stands out the most that I can remember is a house. It may not seem like much, but I grew up in this house. This is the house where I figured out what was bad and what was good, or what I should do or not do. The memories I have there are tremendous. For example, I used to sit on our van and watch fireworks blasting in an array of colors. Or the first Halloween I can remember happened at this house, getting dressed as a superhero and getting so much candy. Or the time where we had no room for a Christmas tree so we got one of those tiny ones, that will fit anywhere, and stuffed as many presents as we could fit there and opened them all up on Christmas morning.


This house was one of the most beautiful and interesting houses I’ve ever seen. Standing in front of the house you couldn’t tell there was even a house there. The tall trees and vines covered the whole place like a jungle. The interior wasn’t finished but still there was paintings and small decor pieces all over. The kitchen had a stained glass part of the wall behind the sink where we would grow plants which I never got to fully appreciate until now thinking back. The backyard was the best part. The tall trees, lavish gardens, the patio with amazing scenery. What wasn’t in that yard that you wouldn’t want? It was so breathtaking that there was even large butterflies that would fly through every day along with the parrots that would fly by every evening or the occasional seagull.


What wasn’t there to love about this house. Everything that you would want lives in the very seems of the house. It will always be in my heart and memories forever because that is where I grew up.


The author's comments:

This story comes from memories of the house I grew up in.