And Enjoy the Show... | Teen Ink

And Enjoy the Show...

The Curtain rose, the lights turned off, and the actors walked on stage. My heart plummeted into my stomach. All of a sudden the narrator walks on stage into the spotlight and starts the show with “Once Upon a Time”. The music starts, the lights flick on, and the show begins. At this moment I realized this was the last time I would do this show with these people. As if it was a queue, my head started to pound and tears filled my eyes. Then the music changed and I walked on stage. After the first scene, I run off into my favorite place behind the stage: the prop room. I walk in to see all my friends waiting around for the next musical number and drinking the warm water provided to us. Noticing my tears, my friend Macy turned to me.

“Allison, you can’t keep crying, stay in the moment, be focused, and sing your heart out. We can all cry later.”

With everyone agreeing, we sat in silence waiting for the next company number. Getting up to head behind the stage, I ran into my friend Cameron jogging to find his prop sword. When we met he looked down at me. “Hey, I can’t believe its finally my last one, I am going to give it all I got.”

Taking a breath of courage and walking to the stage, I walk right on and perform my next scene to the best of my ability. The crowd clapped and the sound of the music continued to the next piece. I decided to walk back to the dressing room and spray some hairspray in my wig because I started to feel the weight shift from side to side. Grabbing the pink and white aqua net bottle, I started to spray. Quickly the cloud of spray grew and I couldn’t help but cough at the overwhelmingly strong scent of chemicals. Collecting my dress into my hands, I headed back to the prop room to grab some lukewarm water and to converse with my other cast members. Running into the Prince, played by my friend Kai, I saw his head turn and he whispered, “I wish I joined the play earlier, this has been the best time of my life. I wish it did not have to end.”

The play ran as it usually had for the past few performances, and we finally reached the second act. All I could think was this is the saddest part of the play, if I can make it through this I will be okay. For some reason, I knew that I would not make it through the second act without crying. The music started and the song “Moment in the Woods” started to play. Leah playing the baker’s wife sang the lyrics “And now I understand, and it’s time to leave the woods.”

The crowd went wild and my heart began to clench, and my salty tears began to fall rapidly out of my eyes. Realizing my emotional state, Cameron reached down and grabbed me some water, which tasted like iron, and all my friends huddled together to get ready for the last scene ever. The curtain rose, the lights turned on, and the entire cast walked on stage. The spotlight hit me and I started to panic feeling my eyes begin to water. The song continued and the closer the play drew to the ending I became more emotional. I then started to pray that God would grant me patience and help me finish my play the way I began: strong and collected. Through the Holy Spirit, I collected myself and began to sing the notes and dance better than I have ever before.

The music stopped, the curtain call began, and the last performance for my play had officially ended. I walked off stage holding my head high and humming the songs I would never forget. Even though I am sad that the show ended, I eventually had to leave the woods.

This piece is a true story, describing everything that happened the night of my last performance.