A Decisive Battle | Teen Ink

A Decisive Battle

By Willj34 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Willj34 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

It was a cool, misty night in Breck Minnesota when I showed up to the game thinking that the Cannon Falls Bombers would lose because they were playing the number one ranked team in the Class AAA. The Breck Mustangs had a division one athlete quarterback and outstanding wide receivers and running backs, for sure we would lose. As I sat in the crowd, the first quarter beginning soon. I looked on the sideline and saw the Mustangs quarterback, David Roddy, who towered above the rest of his team, like a skyscraper in a small town. I watched the Mustang team warm up, clearly ready to come in this game and plow right over the small helpless Bombers.

The first quarter of football was now underway. It was a very boring game to start off, as both teams were still getting used to each other play style. Our team, more of a running team due to the lack of quarterback built players, while on the other side, the Mustangs a passing and running team. Roddy was able to pass the ball with outstanding accuracy and with solid speed and was able to scramble out of the pocket. The first quarter came to end with a score of 6-7 in favor of the Mustangs. A running touchdown for both teams, Cannon Falls just missing the extra point.

The second quarter started off with a bang. Four minutes in and a rushing touchdown for the Bombers, giving them an unexpected lead of 14-7. The Mustangs didn't give up scoring on the very next possession forcing a tie game. The quarter winded down with half-time in sight. Until the unexpected happened, the Bombers scored with 32 seconds left in the half taking the lead going into half-time. The third quarter little action but both teams scoring, 28-21.

The fourth quarter similar to the third. I thought in my head I believe that our team, the Cannon Falls bombers, can pull off the upset. There is now under two minutes left in the game the score unchanged from the third quarter. 1:57 left on the clock, our quarterback looks to his left then to his right, hikes the football and hands it off for another bombers touchdown. The Bombers had done it, they never gave up and fought to beat off this top team, advancing to the next round.

I showed up to this game expecting the team I was cheering for to get completely blown out of the water, but that night the Cannon Falls varsity football team taught me to never give up hope and that there is always a chance if you just believe. The team was motivated to beat this top-ranked team so that's what they did.