Calm Down | Teen Ink

Calm Down

October 10, 2019
By Anonymous

Every time I hear the words, “I need you to calm down”, I’m anything but calm. My parents are always working, now, it’s not as much, but back then it was a lot more because we weren’t as financially stable as we are now. With our minor money problems, my parents would always provide me and my sister with anything we wanted. They would always try to keep us joyful, and well, everyone around them happy too. But, never did I expect an unfortunate event to come crashing down on us. Even though, I’m not naive and think, “Rainbows and sunshine everywhere” and know that's not how people are and that’s not how the world is, I was still shocked. 

A few years ago, my parents were both finally off of work on a weekend, we went to the Domain to get some fro-yo in the beautiful Austin, Texas. The breeze I’ve grown to love was hitting me just right. My family and I were having their own little vacation without a care in the world. We were there for a few hours, but then the heavenly wind stopped and the cruel Texas sun came peeking through the clouds, wiggling out of the clouds and shining brutally on me and others. 

If you live in Texas, you know how exhausted the sun can make you, so we decided to leave to go towards the parking lot where there were more shadows than sunshine. My family and I were walking towards the car, and all I  heard was ringgggg ringgg coming from my dad’s pocket and repeating non-stop like a frightening rollercoaster waiting to come to an end. We got in the car and my dad finally answered the phone. There were hushed whispers speaking quickly making it hard to listen in. 

“I need you to calm down,” my dad said. 

I didn’t think much of these words because there are different meanings behind the sentence, but let’s just say it wasn’t the meaning that fits in a happy atmosphere. 

The next thing I knew, unexpected sobs, were coming out of a mouth —my dad’s mouth. The tears kept coming faster, and faster and his breathing became more shallow. I never thought my hardworking, manly dad would ever shed a tear, but I was wrong. The driven man was always there but just because he is manly doesn’t mean he doesn’t have feelings or emotions too. I was shocked, scared, and quiet tears slid down as though a rain shower had come through. 

My great uncle had a heart attack. I wasn’t close to him but all our encounters and memories, shot through me, blessed moments and moments I didn’t get to have with him because of times I didn’t participate in family gatherings. I remember it was Christmas and we would always go to my uncle’s house and he would always dress up as Santa and everyone would gather to take pictures, but that year was different because, after all those years of going to his house, I recognized that he wasn’t Santa and when it was time to take pictures I didn’t want to because I knew it wasn’t the real Santa, and I knew it was him. I have no regrets about what I did do, but what I didn’t do broke me down. A person can lose their life in the snap of a finger, but leading up to that snap are memories that are to be cherished no matter what. It scares me to think about losing a family member, it’s one of my fears, especially to see others in mourning, but it’s life and how God made it. I will never forget those words, “I need you to calm down,” they’re haunting and life-changing. I know I’ll hear them again and I’ll wait.