Life in an Instant | Teen Ink

Life in an Instant

January 23, 2020
By Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other
Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Because here's the thing about a book: when you pick up a story, you put down your own”
― Holly Smale, All That Glitters


    The whole room was dancing in synchronized steps with each other and the loud music that was now making a buzzing noise in my ears. I took my jacket and my purse and went outside. I was surprised to see so many people from the wedding there. Majority of them were smoking, some had a bottle in their hand and probably were drunk, some were taking pictures and others were just trying to rest from the loud music. It was nice and quiet but I felt a bit lonely. Genti was still inside dancing and enjoying the wedding atmosphere. It was so quiet I couldn't help but just getting lost in my thoughts. I touched my belly, feeling my baby kick hard like she always did. I started thinking of the future and how it would be like when she grows up and when it would be her time to get married.
    It was 2 in the morning and I had started to get very tired. Some of the people had already left, but it seemed like for Genti and his sister Etleva, the fun wasn’t over. They had been drinking and were on their feet all night, dancing. I was losing my patience; it was very late, the music gave me a headache and I was very tired. I couldn’t stay longer so I went up to Genti who was surrounded by people that had formed a circle around him and were clapping.
    “Can we please leave? I can’t handle it anymore.”
    I wasn’t sure if he understood what I said because of the loud music, but he gave me the car keys and his jacket. I picked up my stuff from the table, said “goodbye” to the newly married couple and some friends and went to the car. I tried calling Etleva and tell her that we were leaving but she didn’t pick up. I called Genti as well but his phone was ringing from his jacked that I put on the back seat. Now it was getting frustrating. I waited so long, hoping they would come and tried calling Etleva multiple times. After half an hour I see them coming out of the gates. They looked ridiculous as they were walking towards the car; leaning on each other and walking carelessly as if their legs couldn’t support their weight. They got in the car laughing and throwing their stuff in the back where I was sitting. I was very angry, I didn't want to talk to either of them.
    It was a long drive and I was about to fall asleep. Etleva was singing a song that was playing on the radio and Genti was driving slowly. It was probably the effect of the drinks. As I was looking at the window, I noticed we were driving slower and slower. I told Genti to hurry up because I wanted to get home but he didn’t listen. It was like it wasn’t him controlling the car. In an instant everything goes silent. Two bright lights in front of us were blinding, not allowing me to see clearly. I felt Genti, startled, who reacted quickly. My whole body was burning and all my attention was on my heartbeat, the road and my baby. So much happening in that single second which felt like longer. Genti managed to avoid the crash but we went off the road. Etleva was screaming, while I couldn't get a word out, I wasn't even aware of breathing. It felt like time stopped for a minute. We were looking at each other scared while trying to catch our breath.
    “Are you OK? Is anybody hurt?”, Genti turned, facing me and Etleva.
    “I’m fine but what the hell was that?”
    “I shouldn’t have let you drive in this condition. Etleva please call somebody for help.” The aftershock was worse. I was panicking. We were alone at night in the middle of the street. I was scared that something would have happened to us or my baby.
    “I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I had too much to drink and all the dancing got me very tired.”
    We called my family for help and my dad came to pick us up. Even though I was extremely tired and my eyelids were closing, I couldn’t sleep. I kept my eyes on the road the whole time thinking about the accident. It was a second, just a single fraction of time. In that second, everything could have ended, but we were lucky. I’ll never forget that moment; the fear and adrenaline. I saw my life displayed right in front of me in an instant. It could have ended, but I have a chance to continue it and understand the value of living in the moment, because everything can change; it can happen in an instant.