The big one | Teen Ink

The big one

By Gstout561 BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
Gstout561 BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan

You know how I got these scars? The year was 2013. I was a fifth grade student at the worst, crime ridden, prison like elementary. I was feeling gutsey that day. That day my classmates and I were having a halloween party inside the cell… I mean classroom. Everything was going smoothly except when I got a little too deep in a candy trade. I was taking bets and making deals with my classmates left and right for the candy. I was doing pretty good for myself. I was basically bathing in all the Kit Kats and skittles. It was like Christmas in October.

One of my partners, Mason, was keeping close tabs on the loot. 

“Gunner I think we should pack it up soon we have a lot of candy and school is almost over plus I have to get home.” He said in a little panic 

“We will be fine,'' I said with a giant smile from ear to ear on my face. I laughed. It was like taking candy from babies. I was happier than a kid in a candy store. Well because I was the store. The games continued and the candy kept coming. I was getting ready for our final haul. The big one. The kids name was Hunter and Hunter wanted to make a deal but I became greedy and hungry for more. He wanted to bet me my whole bag of candy for his in a true test of superiority, a foot race. The stakes were high so I had to talk with my partner beforehand. 

“Are you crazy,” Mason said with a shocked look on his face. 

“ I'm not crazy, I'm confident. Matter of fact I'm so confident I'm betting your bag too. This is going to be an easy win trust me”. 

“NO WHAT why would you uh thats stupid why are you doing this”.

“Because I have too it is the only way to get all this candy”.

“Ok you better not lose or it's all over”. Mason's finally said.

That was the answer I was waiting for. So I grabbed my shoes and tied them up so tight that they were choking my feet. I get up and I start doing warm up laps in the classroom. Everyone is watching and waiting for this big race. The teacher even begins to notice my running around the classroom. The teacher warned me to stop before something bad happened and then it did. I tripped over the leg of the desk and I went flying. Everything was in slow motion. Mason's face was so shocked, and the teacher was running over to me. I felt like I was in the air forever. I came crashing down onto the floor at an alarming rate. My chian was the first thing to touch the ground then came the rest of my body weight. The fall busted my face up real good. So good that I got this scar on my chin but this scar is a reminder to never get too excited over candy.