The Last Piste | Teen Ink

The Last Piste

November 8, 2020
By avihamlai BRONZE, Muscat, Other
avihamlai BRONZE, Muscat, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Similar to any other day in Switzerland, thin air surrounded me; however, this was my last. I couldn’t help but smile while looking down from the mountain top. I was 11 years old, and I put my mask on to keep my hands warm due to the arctic weather. My dad separated from me and was a few slopes ahead due to the fact that I took a route that tested my abilities on a more challenging level.
As it was my final day on the slopes, I was excited to go skiing. Next, I put my dark skis on and went towards the black, expert ski slope. Screw it, I thought. Despite how inexperienced I was, I said, “I’m going to do the most exhilarating piste.”
The piste I chose was so steep that its slope was not visible; however, that just made it even more exciting. It felt as though I was standing on the edge of a ledge, and I couldn’t stop my hands from shaking. I was apprehensive yet ready. The monster of a man inside me wanted to savor the snow which laid in front of me. After 30 seconds of contemplating my fate, I leaned forward. To my surprise, I found myself unexpectedly slaloming through the first part of the slope. I zoomed past trees, rocks, and snowbanks. The cool mountain breeze rushed through my hair as I was defeating the slope. Before I knew it, like the hare from the Aesop fable, I was getting too ahead of myself. The slope began to get steeper. I started to lose my balance. The comfort and solace I had experienced only seconds before instantaneously faded away. My legs weakened and crashed into each other. My knees buckled, and I began to tumble until blackness ensued my vision. Even though I wasn’t experienced, I attempted a spin with my skis. Maybe I should’ve stuck to the basics and did what I knew I could’ve done.
I felt like I was stuck in a maze, “Everything’s okay” ignorantly repeated to myself, while I was convinced nothing would happen even though I felt gravely frightened. I was in the process of falling while my mind charged with thoughts. Five minutes later my legs laid flat pushed into the snow, not being able to move out of their uncomfortable position. Next, my knees turned inward. For a minute I closed my eyes and thought of a plan. I felt like my legs needed to be released. So, I pulled as hard as I could, and I felt like I was injuring my arms. At this time, the snow collapsed on my face as my arms were released. Disregarding any other facts, I was focused on being free. Following, eight minutes later I began to slide down the mountain again unwillingly. Momentarily, I dangerously advanced past huge rocks after losing my balance. After that, my hands and legs burned as I glided down the piste. I hid my pain and stood up confused, as I wondered how I glissaded down the slope because of my skis being awkwardly placed. Later, I attempted to climb the mountain because going down the slope wasn’t an option with my skis falling off every second, but I finally released them. I tried finding a safe angle to climb at, however, I was not successful and failed to progress. Soon after, I suddenly thought of my dad, who may have worried for me as he waited at the restaurant three slopes away. My dad was thinking about where I was slightly but also drinking coffee and the waiter was about to come to his table. I was worried about him too because he was patiently waiting and may have gotten worried about my absence. “ May I have one small raclette for my son?” he asked the waiter. When will Avi come to the restaurant? Yesterday I should’ve told him that I wanted to go on a slope together. Then we could’ve spent our hours together. He lowered his lips, cheeks, and jaw which all laid lower than their real weight. Hopefully, he’s not sad, I thought.
All alone I cried for help glancing towards the next slopes, and due to my ignorant actions, I was stuck all alone. I surprisingly noticed my right ski and pole together, lying on the snow slightly lower than I was, annoyed about not seeing them previously in the bad position I was in beforehand. I painfully reattached my right ski and pole while I looked for my left ones. I peeled the snow off my skin and attached my left ski to my left foot. Where’s my left pole. I thought to myself. The lonely winter had no positives in this situation of uncertainty as I shivered. I fell a few meters and then gained my balance, after twenty minutes, I attached my skis and poles and went down the slope towards my destination which was my dad. I couldn’t wait to tell him what had just happened. Abruptly, I slid and approached a tree with the speed of a plane. 10 minutes after I had regained my balance, I had already begun to have a sense of loss in my balance. While I skied I looked downwards with a confused look and twisted my body to the right in hopes to avoid the tree ahead of me. My body shifted to the right however my skis and poles stayed centered. My left rib slid over the top of the ski pole and I groaned. The pole pushed through my stomach as I came up to a bump in the alps of St. Moritz, Switzerland. The bump launched me into the air, just as things were improving. My eyes blacked out as my mind boggled because of all the new things I was being exposed to. I attempted to do a flip in the air because I needed to feel accomplished and get my adrenaline to the maximum level if it wasn’t already. I was airborne as I landed on my stomach and crashed into the piste, completely out of strength. My glasses were broken as I saw a skier coming down the slope. I had no recollection of where I was but I could see a person. I knew I shouldn’t have done that flip, but I didn’t regret it under my skin.

I was embarrassed but still confident that I was fine and at this moment I learned that I shouldn’t have acted illiterate however I should've been educated and knowledgeable. He had a red jacket on, black hair, and a white face. He looked at me and asked me, “How are you doing?”. I said, “Not too well, but would you mind helping me up?”. He pulled me up and shook my hand. I was determined to get down from the start of the first slope. With the help of others, I was appreciative. I raced down the slope as my adrenaline made me rush through the speed run. My hand hit the red button while I raced at the speed of lightning. My face felt the rays of the sun that poured down on me while an abundance of birds chirped from above. As I approached the restaurant I saw my dad in the distance, wearing his ski jacket while eating a raclette. I sighed and took a seat down next to him. He said, “Where were you the whole time?”. I told him about the story of what had just happened and we happily ate dinner ready to head back home tomorrow. Following, I thought, If I had been more conscious of what I did my dad and I would have gone on a ski run together. However, now I was traumatized because of the events that occurred because of my embarrassing actions.
Looking back at the experience I am still living in the same state of unpredictability and enjoying my life to the fullest, but I am more safe and aware of what is happening in the present. I learned to think about things before I proceed with them however, I think I should keep living how I am currently rather than planning the outcome from events. I am currently living as a thoughtful person and second-guessing all my decisions but I am still adventurous. This is because I like the factor of not always knowing what is coming, like the rush of adrenaline I only feel as I race down a slope. I thought that I could always take things for granted but now I have realized that I can’t. I thought I could’ve had fun without facing any problems while I was doing menacing things. This was an important life experience. Adding on, I am more observant and curious in life in the present time. This certainly affected my decision-making in a positive way.


The author's comments:

This piece is a significant start to my writing career. This is because the importance in the story that resulted from this was something I used to struggle with and I was able to provide how this experience in Switzerland affected me to develop as a character. This event made me the person I am today: I'm a 14-year-old boy living in the Middle East. I love to play the piano, enjoy school, play sports such as football and volleyball, I like traveling and learning about traveling, I am passionate about helping communities/people in need, and I love helping the world become a better place to inhabit. I wrote this piece to express how this experience changed me towards the world.