A special meaning? | Teen Ink

A special meaning?

By jasmineyu BRONZE, New York City, New York
jasmineyu BRONZE, New York City, New York

I took the bright-looking necklace closer to my face, it was detailed and shiny at the same time. I couldn’t point out one fact about that that was negative. It just felt special and smooth once I got it. My eyes widened as I took another glimpse at the shiny silver necklace. It smelled like spring and blossom, but at the same time, it was just a simple necklace. I couldn’t exactly figure out why it was so significant to me. It made a strange sound when dropped on the floor as well, but it didn’t break no matter what.

She told me to keep it safe and this necklace was very important to her. Of course, I kept it safe and never took it off for about a year. 

One day, I showed my friend this odd-looking necklace that I got. Her face was frozen as an ice cube. She was pale. It was like she was shocked by the necklace. I asked her if she was ok since I was very concerned about her.  

She asked me who gave me that necklace. I was sort of confused by that strange question. I told her I got it from a very very special person who is not here anymore. She had an idea of who gave me this necklace. I was confused for a whole solid hour. I had no clue who gave this necklace to me. I most likely blacked out the whole day. All I remembered was that I was in a chair, it was on the day of my birthday. I blew out the candles. This person gave me my favorite colored candles. Bright red and black. I couldn’t remember who this person was.  

She had light brown hair and they smelled like cupcakes. She was placid and always so nice to everyone. I just wished I could meet this wonderful person again. 

I still wondered why this was very significant to her. It’s been a year and a half and my friend still never told me. I decided to ask her that night of her birthday. I was very excited and curious about what she was going to tell me. 

Was it a good choice? I wasn’t sure. My whole face froze. All I knew was that her response was shocking. I was not ready for that kind of response.

I wasn’t sure if I should believe her. That response was too unrealistic for me to believe. She had the same strange looking necklace like me. What could that mean? Are we connected or may be related? I was filled with questions and had nothing to say.

I ran quickly to the bathroom and had a thinking session with myself. I was just confused the whole time and didn’t bother going to class. It was too late anyway.

I jumped on my bed and accidentally hit my head on the pole. It made my brain hurt even more, but I was very fine with it. All I needed to know was why we had the same necklace. Did we get it from the same lady? I had no clue how to answer that. I had no clue if we even got it on the same day. I really needed a plan.

I asked my whole family about this, but they had no clue as well. I even asked my brother who brought up a dumb point about his shirt. I knew he wouldn’t be any help either. I decided just to give up since I was getting nowhere.