Winter Storm | Teen Ink

Winter Storm

By a_lins22 BRONZE, Versailles, Kentucky
a_lins22 BRONZE, Versailles, Kentucky

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"
- Alice In Wonderland

The door opens swiftly with my cousin Kobe yelling after his sister. “Sis-shin!” Kobe’s five-year-old voice calls for my cousin Jasmine, 13 feet away, igniting her car. Kobe studies Jasmine as she shivers, and I videotape the whole scene. The parking lot of the apartment complex was covered in snow in the dark of the night. Jasmine’s black clothing made her easy to spot, and the lights from the door illuminated a path.

In the corner of my eye, Kobe reaches his hand out the door, both feet behind the door frame, his upper body leaning out. “I don’t want to touch it.” It didn’t make sense because he was reaching out for the snow. 

“I do-don’t want to touch it.” He repeats the sentence twirling around. My sister Jojo looked at Kobe with a serious expression. “You don’t want to touch it?” 

“No, I want it.”

“You want to touch it?”

“Yeah…” Kobe spins around again and gazes out the door. The taillights of my cousin’s car blink a bloody red in the dark. The sun is now completely gone, with no stars or moon in sight. 

“I don’t want it--I just I just want---”

“I think your car is gonna die!” Jojo cuts Kobe’s stuttering and screams at Jasmine. Her voice stimulating the snow. 

Jasmine turns towards us, flaps her sleeves, and walks back to the door. “I think I’m gonna die.”Jojo snickers and as Jasmine is 4 feet from the door, Kobe tries to relate to his sister’s feelings. “No, I go die too.” 

Jojo laughs and copies Kobe, “Haha, ‘no I die too’ Ha, Kobe.”

Jasmine makes it to the doorway, a smile on her face, frozen by the cold. Her arms wrapping her body and her feet shuffling on the carpet. Her face was spelling the word ‘warm’.

“It’s so cold,” Jasmine emphasizes cold and pushes Kobe towards the door. Jojo looks at Jasmine.

“Then why is the door still open?”

“Kobe, close the door.” Jasmine travels deeper into her home and Kobe’s eyes lock on the doorknob. Kobe sounded annoyed like a teenage boy entering his rebellious phase. “Kay!” He puts his hand on the doorknob and Jojo placed her hands on the door. Kobe shuts the door and shouts, “I close the door!” and Jojo shouts back “I close the door!”

“No, I close door.” Jojo counts one and two and locks the top, while Kobe locks the bottom. “No, I close door.” Kobe walks away with power over his face. The five-year-old thinks he can overpower a fourteen-year-old, this is comedy.

“Nobody’s going outside,” Jojo said.

Kobe runs back to unlock the top and re-lock, undoing Jojo’s hard work. Jasmine sits on the couch and says, “I gotta poop now.”

Kobe turns his head towards his Sis-shin and says, “Poop? No, no, I poop too.” Jojo laughs like a wind wiper, “Shuddup!”

“Kobe!” Jasmine scowls at her little brother.

“I just said I pee and pee.” Kobe defends himself with five-year-old blabber.

This piece is a short story of one moment. It lasted a few minutes, but so many things happened in small details that I remembered. It shows that young children will follow after their older family figures and try to be independent. As seen with my toddler cousin, Kobe as he was trying to exert dominance on my tween sister. It can also be seen that Kobe was unsure about what he wanted when he wanted to close the door, or not. I feel that the message of this moment is not only are children the best comedians, but it's how people react and treat others. The two ideas are to treat everyone equally or treat them how they want to be treated.