My Dance Family | Teen Ink

My Dance Family MAG

November 5, 2021
By patience_weir22 GOLD, Grand Junction, Colorado
patience_weir22 GOLD, Grand Junction, Colorado
19 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you" -Unknown


In October of 2021, my dance studio put on “Alice’s Wonderland,” a ballet, for the community. It was my first big performance since my mom passed away last August. I was really missing her.

After the show on opening night, we all went out into the lobby to greet guests and take pictures. I saw all my fellow dancers getting flowers from their moms and taking pictures with them — and that’s when it really hit me. My mom wasn’t coming back. My best friend, who played Alice in the ballet, could tell that something was off. She is really good at reading my emotions. She asked me what was wrong, but I told her I would text her about it later so that I didn’t break down in the lobby.

She went to dinner with her mom (the studio director), and two of the teachers. I texted her to let her know what had happened and that I had had a flashback to when my mom brought me flowers to my first dance performance when I was just five years old. That night, my best friend, her mom, and the teachers that were at dinner came up with a plan to surprise me.

The next day, I noticed the other dancers gathering in groups and talking. Whenever I went to join then, they pushed me out or said to go away. I honestly thought they were talking bad about me or I just wasn't being included. I was hurt. Little did I know what was going to happen that night.

After our second show of the night, I was standing in the lobby greeting the guests, when out came each and every member of my dance family holding bouquets of flowers, roses, and even a cactus. They extended them toward me. I was really confused as to what was happening. I thought they just needed me to hold their flowers so they could do something. Last in line was my best friend. She came holding a bouquet of flowers identical to those that we took to where I spread my mom’s ashes. She said, “These are from your mom.” That’s the moment I realized what was going on and I broke down in tears. They gave me an amazing card that they all signed, saying that family isn’t always related by blood. Then we had a big group hug. I couldn’t stop crying that day, and it was the most I had cried since my mom died.

I had told my mom she didn’t have to worry about me and I was right. I had the biggest support system and I lost her, but I gained a huge family that loves me.


The author's comments:

This piece is for the 2021 Kindness Contest. It is dedicated to my amzing dance family, that has supported me through thick and thin, and my best friend who is my ride or die!