Portland, OR | Teen Ink

Portland, OR

November 11, 2021
By Anonymous

“I’m moving to Portland.” My friend Mateo said during recess. 


When you have a friendship you never really think how or when it may end but in that moment, I was thinking exactly that. In disbelief I decided not to worry about it and went as far as wishing he that he wouldn't have a reason to leave. Although it was out of my control, and wishing wouldn't do anything, it was all I could do. I would come to realize that hearing those four words wasn't nearly as painful as actually experiencing those last moments together.


In just a few short weeks later my parents and I went to say goodbye to Mateo and his family, (who were still in the process of packing). I remember the crisp air, I could feel my nerves starting to go crazy, this was after all the first time I’d be saying goodbye to someone who I’d probably never see again. When we got in we started talking as if everything was normal but it didn't feel normal to me. I’d be saying goodbye to a dear friend and I wouldn't know if I would see him again, it just seemed easier to ignore the inevitable instead of acknowledging it. After all the talking it was time for us to start heading home and as I sat up to say goodbye I could feel my throat tighten and become coarse because it felt like it'd be the last time I’d see him. And when we hugged it felt like it had been 5 minutes or more (it could've been 5 seconds for all I know) but as we hugged it became increasingly difficult to hold back my tears. As we went back to our car in the chill air I thought I would be able to hold my emotions in, but I proved myself wrong. 5 minutes in to the car ride I burst into tears. After that rush of emotions I began to feel better. still sad, but much better. My only regret was that I didn't tell him how much I loved him because he was one hell of a best friend and I enjoyed our time together greatly.


A about a month later, on a car ride home, my mom mentioned to me that after we left that night Mateo was just as sad as I was. He too cried. It was heartwarming to know that we cared about each other a lot, even after 7 years I still consider us friends and even if we don't talk anymore. He’s still my best friend. With him and because of him I've learned how to cherish moments with my friends so that when we all say goodbye for the last time I’ll know the time spent was truly worth it.