Where Will I Go? | Teen Ink

Where Will I Go?

January 20, 2022
By cows23 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
cows23 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments


I have always thought about the question, “Where will you live when you settle down?” I have been asked this question more than you would probably think and I’ve thought about it for as long as I can remember. There are so many places in the world that I could end up. Ranging from small towns where you know everybody or major cities where you get lost in the crowd. I have seen both of these environments and thought about living in both. And here is what I have come up with… 


Small towns have that homey feeling, like where my dad grew up. Highland, Wisconsin, 800 people. Everywhere you go, someone knows you. You can walk the length of the town in about three steps. The graduating class has 30 kids in it and you can call each of them by name. And while I do like that idea of knowing the people in my town, something about everyone knowing my business would have me on edge. I wouldn’t want to see people I know everywhere I go and I would get claustrophobic in a town that small.

 

Big cities are extravagent. Thousands of people walking the streets. There’s lights and shows and music. You’re surrounded by big name brands all around. And almost everyday, you’re bound to see something you’ve never seen before. But that’s just it. You never know what will happen in the city. It’s clustered and filled with people you have never seen before and will never see again. You feel like you’re being swallowed. Everyone's a stanger. 


But what about where I live now? Good old Merton. Merton is a decent sized town. It’s in a good area with excellent schools for my future children and it is close to major places like Milwaukee or Madison so if my family wanted to attend a game or see a concert, no problem. There’s also a handful of lakes and beaches but also shopping centers and restaurants in surrounding towns. And most importantly, it is close to my family which is really important to me. But I’ve spent nearly 17 years here and I don’t want to necessarily stay forever. I want to try somewhere I have never been to. 


So honestly, I’m not sure where I will end up. It won’t be the small towns that are 15 miles to the closest grocery store, but it won’t be the big cities where there is constant noise that never sleeps. I don’t think it will be Merton, but maybe something similar. Nobody knows where I am going to end up, not even me. But I know as long as I am happy, it’ll be okay. 


The author's comments:

This is my composition final piece. It is my thought process on where I want to live when I grow up.