Drivers | Teen Ink

Drivers

April 27, 2022
By Anonymous

  With a few laps left in the race well ahead of the rest, I start to approach on a driver to lap. I approach the driver expecting a safe easy pass and to keep moving along. Instead, he darts over to the inside for a block for no reason. I’m a lap ahead and he is given the blue and orange stripe flag to let me pass yet ignores to do so. Making me lose precious time passing him a few corners later to continue my race again. Overly aggressive drivers show their true personalities without needing to ever see or talk to them outside of the car. Either battling for 1st and 2nd or racing a car that is in a different car class, these drivers drive as if it were the last corner of the race. Holding you up through the corners and on the straights allowing for other drivers to catch up or for them to eventually drive themselves off the road. You also may have encountered this type of driver on your day-to-day commute. Drivers who go as fast as they can on the highway darting in and out of cars without blinkers or a driver that uses the side of the road as another lane. Erratic driving that is uncontrolled and dangerous to all the others using the road with them. These drivers are usually not very skilled at driving or are doing it as a joke with their friends in the car, but most of the time these drivers are emotional drivers. They drive this way because something has happened major in their life that has upset them and need to get away from whatever the problem is. Whether the problem was that they were pushed off the track at the start of the race or that they were involved in a bad breakup, they drive how they feel. Next time you encounter a drive like this just be aware and drive calmly. Wait for the right time, and pass them safely and fairly. 


The author's comments:

Personal experience over the past few years of racing and driving on the road.