What is the actual reason for our IDs? | Teen Ink

What is the actual reason for our IDs?

May 31, 2022
By JulienYang BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
JulienYang BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

ID ID WEAR YOUR ID! Are you sick and tired of being asked to wear your ID when you don’t know the purpose behind them? The main purpose would be to ensure the safety of the school. In fact, there were hundreds of school shootings in the US last year. Having an ID badge can help prevent unwanted visitors and identify the name of each student at all times.  

What is the rationale for wearing an ID badge to school? The answer to this question is simple, think about you in college, ID badges give you access to the campus, locker rooms, libraries, cafeterias, auditoriums, parking areas, etc. Also, the photo on the badge provides a quick visual way for teachers to determine if you belong in their class. This process provides greater security and protection for everyone. However, there are challenges in enforcing the use of ID badges and inconvenience. One scenario would be leaving your ID badge at home which will prevent you from getting access to the school. You would not be allowed to borrow a library book without a new card. Over time your ID badges would fade or get damaged resulting in replacement costs.  

After all, the integrity in the use of ID badges also comes into question. Students might exchange ID badges with one another or share badges. What’s worse is the production of counterfeit IDs that can get into the wrong hands and put the school in danger. I had my own personal experience with this issue because at the beginning of the year, I gave my ID badge to my friend and he forgot so he signed me into the media center when I’m really in math class.

In conclusion, there are four major ways to support or improve the use of an ID badge. “1) Bring awareness and promote the benefits of the school ID badge policy, 2) Define the protocol for issuance and replacement of new, missing or damaged ID cards, 3) Require IDs to be properly displayed by everyone at all times, 4) Identify and issue an ID to all authorized visitors” (IDEXPERTS). Finally, when one follows all the steps above, it would make school a safer place. 


The author's comments:

I am currently in 8th-grade.