Human Of Parsippany | Teen Ink

Human Of Parsippany

By JulienYang BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
JulienYang BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey

“My dad had left when I was 2 years old to come to the US. I came to this country when I was 8 years old from Hong Kong. Like many first-generation immigrants, our family settled in Manhattan, Chinatown. New York City in the early 80s was not a place you wanted to raise your children. High crime rate and gang activities. I remember going to the movie theater and being taught to duck under the seat if you hear gunshots. My uncle was killed in a crossfire of gang members. He was having a late dinner and was at the wrong place at the wrong time. The biggest challenge was language. When I was in Chinatown, it wasn’t a big deal since I was in an ESL class. It wasn’t until we moved to NJ, that I realized how far behind my language skills were. My brother and I quickly immersed ourselves in the language. At a young age, I know that if you want something, you have to work hard at it. My parents don’t have money, so I started working at age 15 and put myself through college working at night and during the summer. All these work experiences had made me more marketable. I think the hardship I experienced as a child was a blessing and made me who I am today.” (Parsippany, NJ)

I am currently in 8th-grade.