September 2022 Contest: Teens Making a Difference Essay Contest | Teen Ink

September 2022 Contest: Teens Making a Difference Essay Contest

By patience_weir22 GOLD, Grand Junction, Colorado
patience_weir22 GOLD, Grand Junction, Colorado

"Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you" -Unknown

I was two years old when I was considered to be a part of the foster care system, but I had it easy with my aunt being my foster mom. When I was fifteen and it came time for me to decide what I wanted to do for my sophomore project, I knew I wanted to help the kids that are going through things similar to what I went through. That’s when I came up with my idea, Foster Friends. I designed and made prototypes of stuffed animals big enough to provide comfort, but small enough that kids in the foster care system could take them with them as they moved around. They are baby dinosaur stuffed animals that I hand make with all different kinds and combinations of fabric and ribbons. Each one comes with a card letting them know that they are not alone and that they have a beautiful life ahead of them.. I am building up a stock and spending my free time making them so that by the end of my senior year I can give them to foster care systems across the state and more. I hope that I am able to expand upon this as I grow older, but for now, I am doing what I can to make a difference. I hope someday to make this a country wide project that helps kids in foster care all over the states. I’m going to start small and someday go big, because I believe that every kid should have the chance to know that they are loved and someone cares about them. I want kids in the foster care system to have a role model to look up to and someone to prove to them that they can start where they are and still make a difference. 

A personal story that made me who I am today and transformed me into a kinder person.