Happy Birthday | Teen Ink

Happy Birthday

By alh218 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
alh218 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

As I handed her the card that I had carefully crafted close to 15 minutes ago, I was eager for her to open it. She slowly peeled the envelope, as to not to rip it, as moms do, and slid the card out from its place. In great big letters on the front of the card I wrote Happy Birthday; although this birthday may not have been the happiest, it's a metaphor. 

The inside of the card started with a quote from Gilmore Girls, a show we bond over, and a scene that always makes us tear up. 

“But my ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend, the dazzling woman from whom I received my name and my life’s blood, Lorelai Gilmore. My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. As she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, I don’t know if she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her. Thank you, Mom: you are my guidepost for everything.” 

Slowing the tears started to trickle, one by one, seemingly more meaningful each time. Happy tears that could’ve become sad tears if given more time. We hugged and it was clear she didn’t want to let go for a long time. She needed it. 

She finished reading the card and looked up at me with puppy dog eyes, dark like chocolate. Slightly red and puffy, saddened, but happy at the same time. We were able to celebrate her birthday. My message of thankfulness for her and all she has done for me certainly came across in my card. She was hopefully able to have a more happy birthday.