Helping My Grandpa | Teen Ink

Helping My Grandpa

By heisenburgAHS BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
heisenburgAHS BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

My grandpa is getting old; he has mild dementia, so he needs help just to live in his house. I can’t just define it in one instance. Some of the things I do for him are grocery shopping, helping clean his house, helping him shower sometimes, basic upkeep for his house, and cutting his lawn. One time, I came over with my mom and helped give him a shower and make him dinner. 

I walked inside with my mom. My grandpa never takes anything seriously and he is very sarcastic. He says a lot of inappropriate things that I find funny. My mom and I woke him up. 

“What now,” he says.

“Time to get up to shower and eat,” my mom says.

“Ok, ok, I'm getting up,” he says. He walks into the kitchen where we warm up some leftover meatloaf we made the day before. 

After he was done eating, my mom was going to give him a shower as I cut the lawn. He has a pretty big lawn. It usually takes me about one to two hours with the riding lawn mower. 

When I was done, I went back inside and said to my grandpa and told him “Love you, Bye.”

I have learned some things since helping my grandpa. He has helped me learn that even helping out a little means a lot to people. 

I have also learned that helping others be happy makes me happy. This is important because even though other people you are helping other people while helping yourself in the progress.

Overall I am happy to help my grandpa.