Opening a Closed Book | Teen Ink

Opening a Closed Book

September 30, 2022
By Anonymous

Friendship is a sore topic. Our family moved around the time of first grade into a house in Delafield (we used to live in Oconomowoc). I changed schools and because of this, and lost all friends I had. I struggled to make new ones and only ended up having 1 through middle school. With a lack of social experience and little motivation to get some, coming into high school with 1 friend was difficult. 

My parents had me find a job the summer of my sophomore year. Based on pure luck, that's where I found the Culver’s in Wales. I was going to apply to the Culver’s in Hartland but they were out of paper applications at the time. So I applied for the one in Wales. I got the job.

When I first started, I was shy and serious—a “closed book” if you will—As I began to get better at my job, I started talking to people and making friends. 

Culver’s has events called crew parties. Money raised from survey mentions and tips, help pay for these parties where the workers come together and have a fun night. One was taking place at The Mineshaft and I decided to go. 

Once I arrived I found Aizik, Grace, and Hope. These were really nice people to that I could relate. As time went on, 2 others were added to this friend group: Izzy and Sean. 

My book, now open. Over the summer of my junior year, we started hanging out after work, going to houses, swimming, shopping, and playing games; all we did was have fun with each other. 

My book, now open. If it weren't for these people, I don't know where I would be and I know that sounds cliché but It’s honestly true. They have changed my life. And I am truly thankful for the gift they gave me. They opened my book.