Making the Best | Teen Ink

Making the Best

Being moved around between schools and sports teams, I have learned many things, mostly about myself. “Either you play for the girls team or you can’t play at all”, was what I was told by my previous athletic director, removing me from my co-ed hockey team, and putting me on a girls only team. The coaches of my previous team claimed they had not heard anything but rumors about the situation, meaning there was very little communication between the athletic director and the coaches, which had left me, my parents, and coaches without a say in the change. Since my parents are against me returning to club hockey, I had the choice of playing with Arrowhead or quitting. Being on the verge of ending my high school career in sports, I turned to an old teammate and asked for insight. Their advice gave me a sense of affirmation and stability. Being able to reach out to someone I had barely ever talked to had taken me out of my comfort zone, but it was one of the best decisions I had made in a long time. “Make the best of the last two years, even if you don’t do the greatest, you’ll still make friends”, he told me, “have fun instead of wasting your time in high school.” I reflected on his outlook and agreed to play with the new team. Our conversation taught me many things, mostly about myself. I learned that I am able to reach out to people when I need it, I can be independent, I am able to make decisions for myself, and mostly, I learned the importance of helping others.

Submission to the "I am" contest