Mirror of the Pond | Teen Ink

Mirror of the Pond

By itzcomplicated5 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
itzcomplicated5 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein

Mirror of the pond

By: Addy Young and Elizabeth Jorgenson

The heavyweights on my eyes drag them back down in their places as I try to rise from slumber. Time for a productive day. A series of loud cracks proceed as I turn the stove top burner on. A powerful aroma erupts through my nostrils. I look to my left at the bright luminescence of the microwave clock, 4:50 it read. Time is of the essence, time to get moving. 

Gently, I push the door of my red Mini Cooper shut as I climb out of the seat, ready and hoping for a grand day ahead of me. The exhaustion leaves my body with every brisk step on the cold dew the grass holds dear. My rod brushed against the stubborn trees near me, sweeping the ground with their leaves. I look out across the seemingly endless cattails and lily pads, the glass of the water creating a perfect mirror soon to be disturbed. 

Splash! The water breaks as I cast my line into the abyss of water, waiting for the perfect moment. The feeling of anticipation is boring and exciting, tiring and yet awakening. What does this day yearn for me? Will I be the bird or the statue? Peacefully wandering through my mind broken by disruption, I notice my reel is being pulled slowly. Suddenly, my rod bends hard! I jolt to life as I reel in a behemoth I can’t see. The reflection of the water is bent as much as my rod as I fight and pull and reel.

Victory! I step in and taste the frigid feeling of the water. Hunched over, I grasp the carp as it writhes in the crystal-like water. It stares back at me with eyes that seem emotionless, and solemn, and hulking. It breathes a retaining breath as it reads me. The sun has now risen on the horizon sculpting bright halos across the pond. Other fish have now been leaping out of the water reaching for the rays of light spraying mist into the surrounding area. Coming back to the realization of my catch, it took only a few mere seconds to release the hook from its mouth. 

With the gentle care that the wind pushed the leaves across the ground, I dropped the fish back into the water. I look out at the water and all I can see are two suns at an impossible distance. Another day, another successful day.

When Jay Gatsby had been presented with the statement "you can't repeat the past", his counter was "why of course you can!". When I had been presented with this assignment, a memory of my summer in 2022 had been brought back to my attention. My goal throughout this project is to show you can repeat the past through the descriptive detail of history or memory. We may not be there in person but through our minds anything is possible.