THE PEOPLE | Teen Ink

THE PEOPLE

By 4moseler GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
4moseler GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

My grandpa, someone who lived his life to the fullest, for he had loved and lost. The flag draped over his casket seems just as lifeless and joyless as the crowd, making it harder to remember all the good he has done.

The piercing shots of the 21 solute make each tear fall faster, and my eyes become too heavy to open. My head buries into my father’s arms; it does not cease the unpleasant blasts. Faintly, my aunts and sisters softly weep, as if unable to take in the sweet air.

We feel the complete despair that accompanies death. But finally I am able to acknowledge families who have lost loved ones before. This grief is different and seemingly impossible that anyone could endure such agony. As the car fades in the distance, the whimpering pauses. We have hope in the future.

Soldiers have passed away from stony-hearted battles. Fighters are on the front lines reforming routines. Troops will continue to fight for differences and rights in our land. Leaders have created imaginative ways and tactics of combat. Commanders give proper orders and encourage the people to pursue. Captains will strive for greater times ahead. Families have raised movers and reinforce home’s love. Friends are inspiring and applauding. Neighbors will pray for righteousness and justice. Children have sent off family with adoration and patience. Kids study history and honor red, white, and blue. Offspring will be next onto the fields to serve.

ALL the people who have fought, encouraged, and supported; yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Starts with a very touching piece about family, and then relates to all the people the flag stands for.