A tragic story | Teen Ink

A tragic story

November 3, 2022
By Anonymous

    My grandparents lived in India. They would come here every two years in the summer because that was when I was free. My grandma used to teach high school students math in India 🇮🇳. On the other hand, my grandpa was a doctor in India. He had a mini doctor’s office in another room outside the house. One of my special memories was when I visited India, I would go up there and do my homework. Whenever my grandparents visited us here, we would go to Monta Vista Park a lot in the evenings so that they could talk to other older people who were there. They were Indians too. My grandparents and I would walk back home. My grandma did not know English that well and I did not know Hindi, a language we speak in India. I would point at things and let her guess what it is. Then if she had a wrong answer I would tell her the right one. She would help me with math homework. Since I was doing badly in math and needed lots of help from my grandma my parents decided in 2nd grade that I would join the Russian school of Mathematics to help me with my grades. My grades did get better in a few months, however I thought it was too much work. In the year 2018, my grandparents came over during the summer. I will never forget the day I was coming back from the Russian school of Mathematics. As my mom and I were entering our community, we saw firefighters and police cars and officers standing at our doorstep. I was a little kid so they did not let me in. So I was sent to my neighbors house. He was my best friend and I watched from his window to see what was happening.  My grandma got a heart attack.  My family was in shock.  I was devastated because I did not know if I could spend more time with my grandma. This could happen again because my grandma has asthma. My whole family except me went to the hospital and I stayed at my friend's house. It took my grandma weeks to recover. When my grandma finally felt better I was delighted and we spent as much time as we could. I could also spend time with grandpa. 

Thankfully it was summertime and I could spend time with them. They decided they won’t visit often because it could happen again. But I really want them to come back and I want to spend every minute with them. 


The author's comments:

I am a former student from Kennedy Middle School. I love drawing online and pottery in school I have a clay club and I am the leader also I am in BSA I joined may 1st 2021