Reality | Teen Ink

Reality

One evening, after a long day at school, she plops down on her bed and turns on her phone. She scrolls through TikTok and comes across a video about Itaewon, South Korea. A video of people crying as their friends are pulled under crowds and crushed to death. She mumbles, “That’s horrible,” before reading the comments and scrolling up to the next video. The other video lingers in her mind before disappearing as she begins to laugh at a funny comment. After a few days, she came across another Itaewon video. It was a tragedy that happened in Korea, the home of her parents and ancestors, shouldn’t she care more? Shouldn’t she be doing something about it? She listens to her parent’s conversation in the next room. “It’s because of the lack of security,” She hears them complain before going back to typing away on their computers. She sighs before plopping down on her bed. She once again scrolls through Tiktok, once again swiping past the droughts, wars, murders, and crimes. 

In my set piece, I wrote about an event that happened to me. I used repetition at the end to emphasize my actions. For example, “before plopping down on her bed. She once again scrolls through Tiktok, once again swiping past...” Recently in Itaewon, South Korea, there was a huge incident during a Halloween festival. There were hundreds of people packed into a tight sidewalk, which caused people to fall and be crushed by the people around them who were laughing, jumping, celebrating, not knowing what lay beneath them. This writing highlights people’s ignorance in reality. It also defines knowledge vs. ignorance, while siding that having knowledge is better. What I like most about the piece is that it contains my honest opinions and is able to relate with other people.