Photography: The Generation’s New Approach to Permanent Memory Documentation | Teen Ink

Photography: The Generation’s New Approach to Permanent Memory Documentation

By 23sumgar BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
23sumgar BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

As a photograph enthusiast, I have heard all of the critiques from the older generations of my family. My grandmother stating “Darling, you should just live in the moment,” or my father arguing that he takes pictures with his mind; he doesn’t need a cellphone, polaroid camera, or Canon to establish significance. But if not photographs, what is it that allows us to hold onto our memories? Is it the stories? Could it be the company? Why do we even feel the need to document our existence?

Photography is not a burden, as some may think, nor is it new. Yes, it is more common now than in the past, as we have built more significant bridges to the accessibility of cameras, but that only makes for a more creative society. According to a study performed by Zippia, “81.6% of Americans, totaling 270 million people, own a smartphone as of 2023.” This means that over half of the population has the choice to take photos in their everyday lives.

Beliefs lead to the idea that our constant need for documentation stems from the rise of the media. As we become more accustomed to sharing our lives on the internet, we deem it necessary to let it be known that our lives are interesting and engaging. In a situation of need, news websites, magazines, and Twitter accounts have sometimes made it seem as though capturing a situation on camera is more important than providing help. Take a home on fire for example. Are you more likely to join the crowd and pull out your phone to take a video or will you be an outsider and run into the flames?

I don’t believe this is the only reason we take so many pictures, however. There is a deeper meaning. It comes from the drive for permanence. In a world of constant change and feared future, we need to hold all of our excitement close. Media documentation comes second to our reasoning of being able to look back at the moments when we felt our worst or best. We do not trust our memories enough to capture all details of an experience.

Photography is also used as a creative expression. Writer for Adobe Blog, Ciana Wilson, discusses the benefits of creativity in her article, “Creativity as self-care: How photography can boost your wellness practices.” She states, “Creativity can light us up, give us energy, and center us in the moment.” If photography can be used as our creative medicine, to break away from our busy lives and routines, and to express ourselves, what is the harm in pulling out our cameras? Taking photos can be just as creative as painting, pottery, or writing. It is just seemingly judged and overlooked.

We must recognize that the immediate approach is not always the answer when it comes to the ways that people hold their memories or express their creativity. Sure it may seem as though a person is only pulling out their cellphones to post a narcissistic photo on Instagram or Snapchat, but it could just be a way to document a moment of joy after a busy and stressful work week, a way to show the best neighborhood eateries to their community, or an attempt at sharing their lives with family far away. We may never quite know the true reasoning behind the number of photos we take, but taking the approach of sensitivity over judgment may benefit us in many more ways than we recognize.

Works Consulted

Flynn, Jack. “20 Vital Smartphone Usage Statistics [2023]: Facts, Data, and Trends On Mobile Use In The U.S.” Zippia, 3 April 2023, zippia.com/advice/smartphone-usage-statistics/. Accessed 13 May 2023.

Wilson, Ciana. “Creativity as self-care: How photography can boost your wellness practices | Adobe.” the Adobe Blog, 10 September 2021, blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2021/09/10/creativity-as-self-care-how-photography-can-boost-your-wellness-practices. Accessed 13 May 2023.

I am a person who takes many photos. This piece lies close to my heart because I use photography as a creative expression. Due to the stigma around excessive phone usage from older generations, photography has been swept under the rug as creative expression and changed into the idea of taking away from a moment.