Who do you Look Up to? | Teen Ink

Who do you Look Up to?

September 26, 2023
By JM5 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
JM5 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Since I was a young boy I always have and still do look up to my dad. I watched his every move; the way he cooked; how he talked to people; how he did yard work and even when he went to bed. My dad was and is my hero and role model. And since I was young I always watched him cut the grass. Something about it was just so cool. Riding the lawn mower with headphones on. He looked so peaceful. I wanted to be just like that. 


So I asked him time after time. I said, “Dad, when can I cut the grass” and I always got the same answer. I'm not old enough or big enough. So as time went on I continued to watch him cut the grass. I would even go outside and just walk alongside him while he did it. Or when I was younger I would ride on the mower with him as if I was a little co-pilot. 


And soon enough I was in middle school and he asked if I wanted to finally cut the grass. And to my surprise he was being serious and he taught me how. The learning process of taking advice from my dad was awesome. I felt so special to be able to have my role model pay such close attention to what I was doing then be able to replicate what he was doing. Now at first I couldn't drive it straight and I was all over the place. But after more and more practice and listening to his advice, I figured things out.


Only then I realized. This had nothing to do with cutting the grass or riding the lawn mower. This was entirely about a role model. Now, being more mature than I was then, I've realized I'm becoming more and more like my dad since he has been my role model. This has helped me realize that it's not a lawn mower I can't live without or a stove top or even my bed. I can't live without my role model, my dad.


The author's comments:

I like soccer.