Destined with Sunny Skies | Teen Ink

Destined with Sunny Skies

September 28, 2023
By brokenmelodies SILVER, San Jose, California
brokenmelodies SILVER, San Jose, California
8 articles 1 photo 1 comment

I can’t live without sunny skies. I am the type of person whose mood depends on the weather and the tone of the clouds. I can’t help it, but the gloomy skies that look over my city make me feel gloomy as well. I feel drowsily, lazy, and even grumpish to do anything, but I can’t help it. I want to wake up in the morning to cumulus clouds that resemble the ones in my dreams. Today, however, they look dark and awful to me. They look like they are about to cry tears of raindrops, making me want to return to sleep.

 

On bright days, I feel vibrant, lively, and happy when I see sunlight beaming on the hot concrete. I love it when the grass shines as a lime green and not a dull, grayish, undertone variant of a green I choose not to know. I enjoy placing my hands on the swing handles, only to regret it from its scorching heat, before making my mind, sitting down, and swinging as I embrace the sunny weather. Sometimes, I take the Sun for granted until I am left waiting for it to return as it hides behind a pool of somber-looking clouds, ready to burst. My life without the Sun or sunny skies would be unfulfilling to me.

 

I feel those resentful emotions are described best as a drink: a cold drink is better drank on a hot day rather than a chilly day. Like a cold drink—fun activities and gatherings are better when the Sun is out. Who enjoys going to a theme park on a foggy day? Who likes to play soccer on melancholy grass? Who would want to bundle inside layers on layers of cloth, sweaters, scarves, and top: a beanie to prepare for the cold? Every activity imaginable to me is better on a sunny day when my legs are free in shorts and not a miserable day when my entire body is in clothes that make me appear ready for a winter storm. I love embracing the Sun, so I don’t mind resenting the gloomy clouds, as I know things are accomplished better with spirit than sadness.

 

Not only do I feel better when the Sun is out, but I feel prepared to embark on a new day of promising adventures and more; the sunlight leads me to happiness and fulfillment as I can look forward to a good day. But when a dim day does come, I know there will always be sunlight to appear. As the light reflects on my car after a long day, a rainbow will slowly shine through, peeping through the clouds — signifying that the Sun is returning. That is when I know I can feel great again.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to convey how I feel when the weather is not as bright as I hope it would be. My mood moves with the weather, and when it is dark outside, I feel a sense of laziness and resent. I always look forward to bright days because that is when I feel the most energetic!