Wishing Away the Years | Teen Ink

Wishing Away the Years

I remember seven years ago in second grade thinking, "2023 is so far away, I can't wait to graduate."

Years later, on the last day of 8th grade, I was just excited to get out of there. Some girls were teary, and only one or two of the guys were crying, but I was able to compose myself and move along.

The next day, when we officially graduated, everyone was so happy and excited to finally graduate and head to the graduation party.

That night, everyone was laughing and singing for hours. The girls had taken their shoes off, and the guys were all sweaty from holding each other on their shoulders all night. Everyone was having a blast until the final song, when the graduation party turned into a pitty party.

Everyone in that room started to cry and hug their friends, people they barely knew, and even their bullies. I made up with people I had hated for months that night. I don't know what I would have done if my best friend wasn't there to support me, and I did the same back.

That night, I didn't only lose my middle school; I also lost my teachers, my classmates, some of the best friends I ever made, and my home from the past nine years.

I regret wishing away all those years because now all I want is to have them back.

It's been half a year since I graduated, but I still miss my elementary and middle school. But I have been liking my high school. Change can sometimes be scary, but this time, it's not so bad.