The warm feeling of the cold | Teen Ink

The warm feeling of the cold

October 20, 2023
By SpainishW PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
SpainishW PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
24 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I woke up today I had the most beautiful surprise waiting for me, everything was white. As soon as I looked through my window I saw the roofs of the houses covered by snow, the grass, or better said, the grass that I could not see, was covered by a thick layer of snow. 


I could not hide my excitement, I ran into my parent’s bedroom and woke them up. Everything happened in a rush, as soon as I noticed we were in the car going to the mountain. When we arrived I held my sister's hand and immediately started playing with the snow. 


It felt so good, the smile on my face wouldn’t go away for anything. We played on the snow for hours, we didn’t care about the freezing weather, the fact that we couldn't almost feel our hands or that it was lunch time, we just wanted to keep playing.


After some time we were both exhausted, we laid on the snow and looked at the sky, without saying a word. We stayed there for what it felt like hours, but it could have been just a few minutes. The snow was amazingly cold and our back was almost frozen, but our insides were so warm that we didn’t care at all.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece after my dad send me a picture and asked me if I remembered that day. Of course I did, as soon as I saw the picture a lot of memories started coming to my mind. I decided to write about it to share how the emotion and excitement can make something as cold as snow feel warm.