Purple | Teen Ink

Purple

By aprilskang BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
aprilskang BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

A core memory is the loving gaze that parents held during my sister’s birth. My parents tucked in my covers and kissed me goodnight, but by five, they stopped whispering words of affection and holding my hands. Seven, I ran to the outstretched, loving arms, but by eight, the “are you okay?” became less frequent. The realization of the distancing affection between chapters of my life caused me to become accustomed to the silence in response to the pain of falling and getting up again. We learn to single-handedly navigate through this crude world as we adapt to this hurting.

The inspiration behind this piece came to mind when I had a conversation with a friend and we were talking about bus rides. I shared with her my experiences with riding the bus from the 1st grade and she was shocked, as she started riding from the 4th grade. I thought it was the norm for students to start riding the bus at my age because other students that looked like young elementary scholars also took the bus, but as others became aware of my accustomation to public transport, they were shocked. Perhaps my feelings caused my judgement to be subjective, but I felt that I was being unloved by my parents. Was it always this way? My memories of “feeling loved” through actions such as being told “I love you,” hugs, and kisses were blurred like water droplets on a page of ink. By going through chapters of my life, I began to notice the drifting treatment of love in my mother's everyday actions. But why would she choose to stop showing affection? Throughout this thought process, I understood that this is because there are different standards of disclosing affection as life goes on. Her straying love was to help me grow as an independent person in the harsh world that she knew herself.