Jonathan Alder Band Show | Teen Ink

Jonathan Alder Band Show

By DerpWolf111 BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
DerpWolf111 BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio

On Saturday September 16th we had the Jonathan Alder Band Show. It was the 5th annual JA Band Show. We had an absolute blast, it was so much fun! But before I talk anymore about that, let me backup, like a lot. So I had to work the morning of the 16th. I had to be at work by 11:30. I arrived at Champion City Pops, Sweets, and Treats at 11:33 and I got right to work. I opened up the boba. I had to take all of the lids off of the popping boba containers. I then had to take the saran wrap off of the syrup pumps to get them ready to go. Once I had completed that I finished getting ice cream totally ready to go. 

I realized as soon as the first customer walked in the door that I had forgotten to clock in! I felt like a big dumb caveman. I clocked in and helped the first customer of the day. I had to remember how to do my entire job because I hadn’t worked in like a month. I really was so lost. I was also the only other person in the store. There were two of us there, me and my boss. We had a third person scheduled but his car broke down and he failed to tell my boss sooner so she told him not to worry about trying to come in. We kicked butt getting all of our orders done. We were Batman and Robin, working together so well. The best dynamic duo!

We called in another person for extra help. We untimely ended up being slammed from 1:00 to 3:30! The Weiner Dog race was Saturday at 12:00. We had so many people coming in, I barely had time to breathe. I had to roll Ice Cream the entire time! I had so many orders! I also had to learn how to make a bubble waffle, which is delicious by the way. I got tipped $37 so I did really well on Saturday. I then had to leave work and come straight to Shawnee High School to get ready to leave for the JA Band Show. My parents picked me up from work and dropped me off at school. I had to throw my uniform on and get myself totally ready to go in a matter of 20 minutes. I got ready to go so fast, I was the Flash. I never could get ready that fast normally. We had about a 30 minute bus ride to JA. The bus ride was the first moment of calm that I had since getting ready. The bus ride was a lot of fun, I got to talk to my friends. Once we arrived at JA we unloaded the trailer and got ourselves ready to go to the stands. We then set all of our instruments down in “instrument flowers”.  It is where you create a shape or configuration of your section's instruments. Once we were in the stands we were released to go to the concession stand to get food because we were only going to have one chance to go.

Once we arrived back at the stands,  we got to watch The Ohio State School for the Blind march! It was really spectacular! They all had a guide with them to help them know where to go on the field. We then went to our warm up and got ready for our performance. We were the last band before the intermission. After we went we got to watch KR and several other big bands. This show was very meaningful because it was our second band show this season and it was the best performance we have had. We have just improved so very much over the course of the season and this showed it. It was also the last time we got to perform the song, My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark. All and all we honestly had the best time! It was so exhilarating to get to be on the field and it was so exciting getting to watch the other bands perform!