A Feeling that can't be Forgotten | Teen Ink

A Feeling that can't be Forgotten

By KeeganKell BRONZE, Theresa, Wisconsin
KeeganKell BRONZE, Theresa, Wisconsin

It was finally game day. It was a very important day to me considering that I’m one of the most important ligaments in Keegan’s body. Being a knee wasn’t always easy but it also comes with plenty of benefits. Since I was getting off the bus and getting ready for the game. I could feel the fresh and cold air as I stepped off the bus and was immediately prepared to go. Keegan was feeling good already. This would be a tremendous and energetic game. The first step off the bus was the first step into warming up. Keegan first started with a light jog around the whole field. I was feeling great, better than ever, and couldn’t wait till the first snap. Right after that, Keegan picked up a football and started playing catch with someone. One step back and throw, over and over again. Every rep, I keep feeling stronger and stronger. When it came to running through plays, every jab, every juke, and every run felt like a privilege. Before I knew it, it was time to go as the kickoff was away. 

Keegan got the coach's play, ran out on the field, and told the team in the huddle, “ Wildcat Left Black Zero Seattle Washington.” I could tell that Keegan was ready for this play and excited to start a game with a deep route. Keegan yells out the snap count, “ DOWN READY SET GO!” Keegan gets the snap. I take one step backward and cross over and another step back. Keegan flips his hips and sends a pass deep in the air. Caught by Charlie, I could hear the crowd cheering as he scored. As Keegan runs back to the sideline, joking around with the coach says, “ Worked as planned.” 

The coach just replies with.“ That a boy.” This play was the first of many great ones throughout the game. I felt Keegan was happy with himself and the team for how they played. The score impacted Keegan’s emotions as the team kept adding to the score touchdown after the touchdown. It wasn’t long after that before Keegan got tired and needed a little rest. However, Keegan’s defensive coach didn’t have him out long before he asked.

“Are you good to go?”

Keegan replied, “ Of course.” As he ran out on the field, ready to go. I was feeling good and ready for more work. It wasn’t long before Keegan got into position at the outside linebacker position. The opposing team's quarterback snaps the ball. Keegan recognized this play from before as he triggered at the quarterback as he was rolling out of the pocket. He threw it right before Keegan got there. Keegan turned quickly and looked, but I couldn’t. All of me popped, I couldn’t move an inch. Keegan started yelling in my pain, “ AH, AH, AH, AH.” I didn’t know what to do, and I didn’t know if I could do anything at all. Keegan’s yelling didn’t stop, “ AH, AH, AH.” All the coaches came running over by us, but all their voices were blurred. I couldn’t hear anything, or Keegan couldn’t hear anything. I felt so bad. Keegan didn’t deserve my pain. 

Finally, after a little while, the yelling stopped, but his nervous and painful reactions didn’t stop. I wanted to help him but couldn’t flinch for a second. I didn’t want to let him down at all. I tried to get up and keep going, but the pain Keegan was taking in, he just couldn’t get up. Keegan’s coaches were able to settle him down a little bit. They managed to take his helmet off and get him to breathe and think at an average pace. I could feel it inside me, though Keegan wasn’t okay. It was getting to the point where I couldn't stand the feeling of how much pain Keegan was in because of me. I could hear the coaches ask Keegan, “ Do you want to get up?” 

Keegan replied, “Sure. “ Two of Keegan’s teammates came over, and he put his arms around them. I was in the air, and I kept trying and trying, but I just couldn’t put any pressure on myself. Every step I tried to take got worse. The amount of stress and pain inside of me couldn’t take the pressure off the ground. It hurt me to feel Keegan limping off the field, but I just couldn’t help him in any way. 

It wasn’t long until Keegan could be carted straight to a car off the field. I limped around as Keegan jumped up with one leg and was able to get in the car. He straightened me entirely out over the seats. I felt best this way; it was the only time I didn’t bother Keegan the most. Getting out of the car was even more difficult than getting in. I was all stiff now, and once Keegan bent me a little, it gave him extreme pain. I wasn’t moving at all, and the more I sat around waiting, the more stiff and swollen I became. Before I knew it I felt something moving right next to me. With Keegan’s tense reaction, I wished there were no bones broken inside of me. 

The nurse returned with an X-ray, saying, “ No bones were broken.” I could feel the relief inside of Keegan as his hopes were growing. 

It was hard for Keegan to take all this in. I noticed the days got longer, and every day felt like a drag. I could feel that all the pressure was on me to fix myself, and I didn’t know how. So Much was going through Keegan’s head that I couldn’t keep up with him myself. Before I knew again, I was being put into a machine. 

I heard the Doctor say, “ MRI.” Hopefully, this means I can give Keegan good news. Keegan’s thoughts began to get worse and worse as it took a while to get those MRI results back. Then the next day after school the trainer told Keegan the bad news. I WAS FRACTURED. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what I could do. I was useless to Keegan and everything he was able to do. 

Every minute felt like a whole day. I didn’t know how bad Keegan would feel until something like this was taken away. Keegan's thoughts with himself felt like a real conversation with me. Except I didn’t know how to answer or have answers to tell him anything. All that was ever on his mind was me. Except his worrying and no patience towards me all started to build up. Week after week and month after month, I didn’t know how long Keegan could keep this going. I’ve never seen him like this before. It felt so dark and lonely that he never felt motivated to do anything anymore. All he did was lay around and overthink the process of everything. It was so dreadful that every second felt like work to keep him going. Then, one day, he got a little glimpse in his eyes. I was put through therapy for the last couple of months, trying to get better. But when Keegan got cleared to participate in basketball practice, the light in his eyes started returning. The more movement, the better I felt. Keegan kept working with me daily, and I gave him my best. I could only do so much every day for a while before I started giving out. No matter how hard I tried, I could be the best for Keegan yet. 

As the days went by, I felt the energy return within Keegan. Every day felt a little better. Every day, I felt like I was positively contributing to Keegan. This was until Keegan had to play his first Basketball game. He didn’t think of me the same. He hesitated on every move he made and treated me like a baby. I wouldn’t blame him, and I wasn’t ready for this. I gave everything I had and hoped it was enough, but in the end, it wasn’t. Because Keegan still isn’t himself. Until I can give him all I have and not let him feel pain from me, I'm not ready for this. But I know I will be ready soon. No doubt about it, I will not let Keegan down. I will come back better and stronger than ever. When I can, Keegan will see me as my old self and trust me to do anything he puts me through. I know Keegan will trust me again to do all the extraordinary actions I was able to do before. It will take time, lots of time. Because I know for sure it is a feeling that can’t be forgotten. 

It is a valuable and very impactful part of my life.