Battle Wounds | Teen Ink

Battle Wounds

March 11, 2024
By Anonymous

A wound has been stitched together after months. Between therapy, friends, and family, my cuts have been sewed back together. But those stitches were torn out. The blood has started flowing again and the pain is unbearable. I had done everything to keep it ok. Then you come back and it feels like a stab I got just yesterday. There are now tears I can’t stop. I was doing alright—then you come back for seconds. I had just started to get back on track, then suddenly I see fresh blood on my back. It was an attack I was not prepared for. I only tried to set things straight, but turn around to see a gun in my face. Your lies are bullets more deadly than any other kind. I tried and tried to keep the peace; before I finally gave up. It had seemed the fight was over but I guess I was wrong. You came back so you can take just one last shot. The world’s a gang fight but I never thought I’d take part. Yet here I am with stab wounds on my back and words being thrown at me like grenades. You make it a point to target me. So now I’m left alone with blood pooling at my feet. For once in my life I’d like you to see, it’s not me out to get you, but you out to get me. I’m painted as the villain and you the hero. Yet it seems to me you should be the one put under fire. I know you better than you know yourself. I know you fight to not seem weak. But what do you do with the bodies at your feet? The bodies of people you’ve cut with your words. The bodies of people on the other end of a flamethrower you call your voice. I can’t be honest with you cuz you throw words back at me like knives. One through the head while the other hits my heart. I crumble to the ground feeling helpless. Then the rain of a typical storm comes burning the cuts. I used to be able to hold an umbrella and weather it. Now it drowns me knowing I can’t swim. You’ve cut me to pieces and just laugh. You see my head hang yet just walk away. Your lies are bullets and mouth a gun shooting at me every chance you get. I had started to heal then you come back so you can add to the stabs on my back.