For Dad | Teen Ink

For Dad

By ivycurran BRONZE, Somersworth, New Hampshire
ivycurran BRONZE, Somersworth, New Hampshire

Hello, my name is Ivy Curran. I'm 14, but math declares that I'll be 16 in two years. 16 (for many) is equivalent to the spot behind a steering wheel, whether parents like it or not. 16 is also (for less) equivalent to the seat behind the bars of a motorcycle. With enough effort, both will be true for me. My dad said that if I write a letter about why I want to ride a motorcycle and get it published anywhere, he will buy me a motorcycle when I turn 16. I currently have 2 motorcycle helmets from my dad, one of which I just ordered a new visor for. I plan on putting that visor to use sometime soon hopefully. In April of 2023, my dad hit a deer and crashed his motorcycle. The deer died instantly. Luckily, Dad did not. He was driven to the hospital with a collapsed lung, lacerated liver, a broken shoulder blade, and 8 broken ribs. He stayed in the hospital for a several days before he could go home. A couple months after he was out, he was back on the motorcycle, which means there must be something very special about motorcycles for someone to want to ride again after a crash like that. When it comes to motorcycles, Dad's garage is never empty. If you paid a visit to his garage right now, you'd see the BMW that he rode across the country with; New Hampshire to California. I believe he is a very lucky person to be able to tell that story. I hope someday I'll be lucky enough to tell a similar one. I've become stuck on the idea of having a motorcycle of my own, finding myself thinking about it a lot. I asked Dad if he thought that people who don't ride motorcycles are missing out. Like always, he didn't give me a straight answer. Instead, he said it depends on peoples personalities. I'm not exactly sure what that means because I think there's probably a bike for everyone. When I hear people talk about motorcycles, they talk about them like they are living, breathing creatures. It makes them all the more interesting for me. When I turn 16, I want to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license. But if I don't have a bike, I have no reason to get a motorcycle endorsement. I don't know if this is an essay, a poem, or a letter. Whatever it is, I hope that the time, concentration, and brain power it took to write this was worth it. So, Dad, if you're reading this, it means you're getting me a motorcycle (or moldercycle, as 6 year old me would say). Thank you.

I spent 6 hours in a library, writing this letter. I hope my dad gets to read this and I hope I get to use my motorcycle helmets when I turn 16. Thank you.