For Dad | Teen Ink

For Dad

June 22, 2024
By ivycurran BRONZE, Somersworth, New Hampshire
ivycurran BRONZE, Somersworth, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hello, my name is Ivy Curran. I'm 14, but math declares that I'll be 16 in two years. 16 (for many) is equivalent to the spot behind a steering wheel, whether parents like it or not. 16 is also (for less) equivalent to the seat behind the bars of a motorcycle. With enough effort, both will be true for me. My dad said that if I write a letter about why I want to ride a motorcycle and get it published anywhere, he will buy me a motorcycle when I turn 16. I currently have 2 motorcycle helmets from my dad, one of which I just ordered a new visor for. I plan on putting that visor to use sometime soon hopefully. In April of 2023, my dad hit a deer and crashed his motorcycle. The deer died instantly. Luckily, Dad did not. He was driven to the hospital with a collapsed lung, lacerated liver, a broken shoulder blade, and 8 broken ribs. He stayed in the hospital for a several days before he could go home. A couple months after he was out, he was back on the motorcycle, which means there must be something very special about motorcycles for someone to want to ride again after a crash like that. When it comes to motorcycles, Dad's garage is never empty. If you paid a visit to his garage right now, you'd see the BMW that he rode across the country with; New Hampshire to California. I believe he is a very lucky person to be able to tell that story. I hope someday I'll be lucky enough to tell a similar one. I've become stuck on the idea of having a motorcycle of my own, finding myself thinking about it a lot. I asked Dad if he thought that people who don't ride motorcycles are missing out. Like always, he didn't give me a straight answer. Instead, he said it depends on peoples personalities. I'm not exactly sure what that means because I think there's probably a bike for everyone. When I hear people talk about motorcycles, they talk about them like they are living, breathing creatures. It makes them all the more interesting for me. When I turn 16, I want to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license. But if I don't have a bike, I have no reason to get a motorcycle endorsement. I don't know if this is an essay, a poem, or a letter. Whatever it is, I hope that the time, concentration, and brain power it took to write this was worth it. So, Dad, if you're reading this, it means you're getting me a motorcycle (or moldercycle, as 6 year old me would say). Thank you.


The author's comments:

I spent 6 hours in a library, writing this letter. I hope my dad gets to read this and I hope I get to use my motorcycle helmets when I turn 16. Thank you.