The Toast | Teen Ink

The Toast

By Kristine PLATINUM, Edmond, Oklahoma
Kristine PLATINUM, Edmond, Oklahoma

"You've got to love what you've got while you've got it."

Every morning begins the same. Wake up at 5:00 AM, get ready, and, in order not to be late for early morning Bible study, leave at 5:45 AM with a piece of the most amazing toast in the world.

The cupboard clicks as it swings open, and the thin plastic bag makes a crinkling noise as I dig for a piece of bread that is not the heel. The toaster rattles as I toss it inside its hot iron cage. Then, I wait for the spring to make that loud pop that tells my taste buds it’s time they stopped watering.

This toast does not come from any regular loaf of bread. It comes from a loaf of Sara Lee Cinnamon Raisin bread. Each piece has a perfect bold swirl of cinnamon. The edges are light brown, and crisp after being toasted. Little raisins dot its surface like polka dots. The butter is spread, thick and even, across its smooth surface. It reflects the light, making it all the more appetizing.

A delicious aroma fills the entire kitchen. The smell of cinnamon and scrumptious raisins rise into my nose, making my stomach bellow a deafening growl. I leave a trail of its scent behind as I leave the house, unable to wait much longer to devour the toast, my breakfast.

Running my fingers along the edges, I notice how nicely my toast is cut. It is divided into four, equal, little triangles. The toast’s crumbly surface is almost taunting me now, “You better eat me before I crumble into a million inedible pieces”.

Finally, I give in. My hands are now warm from the heat the toast gives off. I smile as I chew each triangle carefully. The cinnamon dances on my tongue. The crunchy bread appetizingly satisfies my hunger. I can always count on my cinnamon toast to start my day off right.