Knock, Knock it's Diabetes | Teen Ink

Knock, Knock it's Diabetes

November 19, 2009
By Anelamailani GOLD, Vancouver, Washington
Anelamailani GOLD, Vancouver, Washington
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
A true friend is a promise you keep forever.


September 3, 2007 was the 2nd worst day of my life. I felt unlike myself that whole day. I was really thirsty, not that hungry, felt the urge to use the bathroom a lot, really tired, and I was told i looked pale. I was asked so many times if I wanted to go to the doctors but i'm such a scaredy cat that i refused to go. Until my dad looked straight at me and said "I'm telling grandma to take you to the doctors no matter what." I got in the car and we headed on our way to the doctors clinic.

Sitting in the doctor's office I was really nervous after they took some tests on me. Sweat started dripping down my face because i wanted to know what was wrong with me. I thought to myself Is there something seriously wrong with me? Why is this taking so long?

30 minutes later the doctor came in with the test results and a dissapointed look on her face. She looked at me and then at my dad and said "Im sorry but im going to have to transport you guys to Legacy Emanuel Hospital for follow up tests so we can be correct about our results." I got in the ambulance, and they had me lay down so they could put an oxygen hose on me cause apparently i wasn't breathing correctly but i was really tired so i fell asleep.

25 minutes later we reached Legacy and i was sent to ICU. I still didn't know why but i had a gut feeling that i would soon find out. Laying in the ICU I thought to myself why am i here? im tired can i go home? this is taking so long!! Soon enough the doctor walked into the room and this doctor had a sad look in her eyes as well. She looked at her test results and then looked at me. She petted my head and said "Im so sorry sweetie but unfortunately... our test show that you have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Hearing that i started crying because i knew that diabetes wasn't a good thing. I know that diabetes is in my family genes but i never thought that in a million years i would have it. Laying in the bed im thinking to myself my lifes totally gonna change. why me? why me?!?!

Knowing that I have diabetes helps me to take better care of myself and help others to see that you can live a normal life. It's very important to monitor my glucose and take my medications. The only way that my life changed is the 15 minutes it takes me to check my blood, do my shot and eat breakfast or dinner. Then atleast 10 minutes at lunch to just check my blood and eat. Other than that my life is completly normal.

Getting diabetes was a big shocker but now that im 14 i relized that its apart of life if you get it. If not then good for you.

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because it's something that happened to me that can happened to anybody. I hoping that people who already have diabetes especially kids get a message that it's not so hard to live a normal life.