Vocab Quiz | Teen Ink

Vocab Quiz

November 24, 2009
By Haley Thiel SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Haley Thiel SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Oh, my God, he stabbed me! Please help me! Please Help me!”

It was 3:20 in the morning, and I was awoken by this lurid cry for help. My mind was racing as I was trying to comprehend what could be happening outside my domicile. I was comfortably sleeping and did not feel the need to get up…I was probably dreaming this awful scream. I decided to go back to sleep.

Five minutes elapsed and I was awoken by the same voice yelling again. What was going on down there? I went to my window and saw a petite girl lying on the ground with blood covering her body. My rash conjecture that the scream was my dream was completely off. There was a girl out there, and she could be dying.

My first instict was to call the police. I could obviate the girl’s death. But what if she wasn’t innocent, or what if this isn’t real? At that exact moment, I heard another sporadic cry for help, and then silence. Had my lax actions caused this girl to die?

My elderly neighbor had 911, and two minutes later the cops showed up. They discovered that the women was dead, and it was Kitty. I went outside to see what’s going on and got questioned immediately. They asked me if I saw the crime. I told them yes. They asked me if I had ever considered calling 911.
“She didn’t seem in danger, and I thought it was a lovers quarrel,” I quipped.

They meticulously scrutinized me to see if I was lieing. As they walked away I will never forget the disgusted look on their faces. Now, when I wake up in the morning the first thought that pops into my mind is that night. And how I could have saved a life. I know other people must have heard the screams too and didn’t call the police either, but personally, I feel guilty. I had the phone in my hand, and thought about myself rather than Kitty. As a citizen I should have called the cops, I was in the comforts of my own home, doors locked and secure. My life wasn’t on the line, it was Kitty’s. I did the wrong thing that night and will live that decision for the rest of my life.