College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

By Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

As a young girl with two older sisters on the same dance team, I was dragged to every competition in the Midwest. From Menominee Falls, being the closest, to Indianapolis, the farthest. I’ve seen them all. And after a few years of being a spectator in the stands, I finally was old enough to join the team. Six years old and dancing to “Man I Feel like a Woman” was just the start.
As the years progressed and my talent strengthened, the coaches noticed I could be pushed further faster. Not even two months into the season I was moved up. About to end fourth grade and I was the newest member of the Junior All-Star team. Thirteen intimidating, middle school girls- one elementary child.
As it got closer to high school, I moved districts. The Hartford Energizers was now my past. My new high school, Arrowhead, had a decent dance team. Placing top five at State for the last thirteen years. Taking a year off and not knowing a single person, I was nervous to try out for the varsity team. But as I was praying, only two freshmen made it… I was one. The different techniques and vocabulary confused me at first, but it became my second nature.
Junior and senior year were my strongest years. In April of 2008, I helped choreograph the award winning funk routine. And this year I am one of two captains. For the last ten years, I have been involved in some type of dance. Five of those ten years, I have taken on the role of a leader. Not only do I push myself, but I help others to push themselves. The pressure is high for college dance teams, but I hope I can use it my advantage.