One Math Test | Teen Ink

One Math Test

By ElephantGirl523 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
ElephantGirl523 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Theodor Geisel

I hate getting hundreds on math tests. It’s only because other people don’t get them. I don’t really hate the hundreds, it’s just the fact that my grade is higher than everyone else’s.

I hate getting back those tests because my math teacher always says “Only one person in this class got a 100.”

Sometimes, I try to hide my grade. I lie when people ask me if I had recieved the only 100. I usually refuse to tell others my grade. At first, they think I had gotten a bad score and was ashamed. But word always got out. Someone at my table would glimpse the grade written in red pen on top of my test. If one person saw it, everyone would know. Even if I begged them to keep it quiet, they could never keep that particular secret.

It seems impossible that no one would ever find out my test grades. Once my math teacher even announced my name when someone asked who had gotten the hundred. I was afraid to ask her not to, because she is a wonderful math teacher. But I usually end up in tears after she passes back one of those perfectly scored tests.

I find myself wishing that I could stop other people from wondering about my grades. I wish I hadn’t done so well, or they had done better. I wish people wouldn’t be so competitive. I wish that there were never any tests.

The reason I don’t like getting those grades is because I hate the way everyone else reacts to them. I hate the way people congratulate me, even though they are secretly jealous. I hate the way people say “Lucky!” because it isn’t luck that gives me the grade. I hate the way my friends call me a smarty pants in teasing voices. I hate how proud my parents are that I got the only 100 in the class. But what I hate most of all is how people assume I am better than them.

Some people are insecure about some things. Like if they are smart enough. I hate how my high score makes them feel that their 90 isn’t good enough, that they aren’t as smart as I am because I have a higher score on the test.

“It’s not true!” I want to yell at them. I got the highest score, but that doesn’t mean I’m the smartest. I’m not the smartest. Why don’t you understand that test scores aren’t everything?

So what if I happened to check my work? So what if I might be a good test taker? So what if I get good grades in math? Why don’t you understand that this test doesn’t mean anything?

You can’t measure smartness through one math test. You can’t measure a person’s worth by one math test. You can’t decide who’s better than whom by one math test.

One math test. . . How can it carry so much?

Just one math test.

I hate how my high score makes them feel that their 90 isn’t good enough, that they aren’t as smart as I am because I have a higher score on the test.

r u sure? I don't think i am

but thx 4 the compliment

purplegurl523 SILVER, BROOKLYN, New York

"Fists in the air, hands on your hair!" ~My math teacher

:) u r an AMAZING writer i can see what u think about this now!!!! :)

PS—when I said u were the smartest person I know, it had nothing to do with tests or school, I meant it :)

Thanks for the comment, although I didn't really write this because people think I'm a nerd. I think that test grades wouldn't be so bad if people weren't so competitive. I don't mind if people think I'm a nerd, I just don't want them to feel bad about themselves.

I appreciate your support of my writing, however. I will absolutely keep writing and reading others work.

its the one I wanted u 2 read. . . I just wanted to show u how i feel about it. . . i mean, i wanted to show that i don't want u 2 feel that way, and i wish u wouldn't say that. . . it makes me feel bad, 2.

enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

This is really well written. I think everyone can relate to this. I hate the smirks I once recieved an honor society award and was smirked at and mocked. Doing well doesnt make you better or make you a 'nerd'. Keep writing you are great

this is directed toward me isn't it?