Typical Gym | Teen Ink

Typical Gym

March 24, 2010
By redsoxandsunshine SILVER, Hamilton, Massachusetts
redsoxandsunshine SILVER, Hamilton, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 24 comments

I’m in gym class, running on the elliptical. It’s the only way I can stop from going crazy in that class, because there is nothing to do and my friends always want to just sit around and talk. Frankly, I don’t always feel like talking. Sometimes you just have to run. I’m around the 2 mile mark, all sweaty and I don’t care. Three girls come into the room, one of them talking loudly. Having nothing else to do, and considering that her voice can be heard in Antarctica, I listen.
“So, I don’t know why he like dumped me for her, I mean she’s fat, and I’m skinny, and I am soooo much prettier than her.”
“That’s not hard, she’s so fat and ugly” “I know!”
“So what happened?”
“Well I was at this party, and my boyfriend was there but you know I dated this guy over the summer but then I had oral sex with him even though they were dating.”
“He cheated on you and then you cheated for him?”
“Yeah, he is so hot. I can’t believe that he broke up with me for her. They were having sex while I was going out with him!”
“Why’d you go back?”
“Why not? Serves the B---- right!”
Making sure not to look at them, I run harder. They leave and I’m relieved. Then my friends come in.
“So what are you going to do when you graduate high school?”
“I don’t know, but I’m considering going into politics.”
“Oh? I’m thinking about being a diplomat, or international relations. It’s really interesting, I mean, being in politics in the country is great but international politics or law really fascinates me.”
“Yeah, but you know how Erin’s going to be president in 2040?”
“Oh yeah!”
“I’m not going to be her vice president, but I want to be in the Senate, or chief of staff.” “That’s ambitious”
“I know! But hey, if we work hard in high school and college…”
My friends are so nerdy. But you know what? I like it that way. I’ll talk to them later, but for now I’m just the girl on my own, running invisibly on the elliptical, observing but not participating. You learn a lot about life that way.