The Little Gift | Teen Ink

The Little Gift

July 10, 2010
By ashbadash BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
ashbadash BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
4 articles 1 photo 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friends are like glue, they always stick by your side.


I can't believe it. My life will never be the same ever again. These are the thoughts that passed through my head as I held my newborn baby brother. The tiny little toes and fingers were unbelieveable. How can anything be that small? I thought. His little yawn and everything about him made me cry tears of joy. When my mom and dad first told me and my two sisters I didn't know how to react. I was exstatic. He was born at 3:58am on Feburary 5th, 2010 and I was waiting on him for what seemed like a century. I got to the hospital (after directing my newly-moved-to-Florida aunt and uncle there in the front seat) at around 10pm and we had to wait. More waiting I thought. Why couldn't he just have come already? But all these thoughts went away as I heard the lullaby jingle play (it played everytime a baby was born) and my dad came out to tell me, he's here. Now he's a little over 5 months old now and I can't believe his growth. First it was when he learned to roll over onto his tummy by himself. Then it was his first smile. Next it was when he learned his name and looked at us when we called him. Now he's trying to sit up and crawl and I can't wait for him to be moving. I love my little brother so much and now I can't imagine my life without him. He was my gift from God, my whole family's. He was exactly what I needed.


The author's comments:
I went to check on my little brother in bed as he napped in his crib and I saw the same perfect old smile as when he was born and it inspired me to write this.