Because | Teen Ink

Because

By MayaChristine GOLD, Stocksfield, Other
MayaChristine GOLD, Stocksfield, Other

“And why did you do it?”

When we were kids, the answer was always simple. We did it because.

“Because what? Because is not an answer!”

It is an answer really. It's a reply to a question, so it must be an answer. Trying to find a way around that, our little 6-year-old minds worked so hard trying to find the right answer. The word or words we were supposed to say to get ourselves out of our current compromising positions.

You could blame it on someone else. “He did it too” is always a popular one.

“If he jumped off a bridge would you jump off after him?”

Of course not. That would be silly.

“So why did you do it?”

“Because.”

Nowadays, they want a real answer. They want a full explanation, not just the word you use to begin it. Either way, they aren't satisfied. It's not like you can say “Because I felt like it” or “It seemed like a good idea at the time”. It's an explanation, granted, but it isn't the one they want. Once again, your stuck unless you repent your sins or voluteer to take an ASBO.

Because! I did it because. You did it because. We all did it because. It's the perfect explanation. Short and sweet, and without any hard work required. Default. And a good default at that.

“Why did you hit?” Because.

“Why did you steal?” Because.

“Why did you leave?” Because.

Who, What, Where, When, they all need a proper explanation. Why? Because will suffice.

When we were 6, they didn't warn us. They didn't tell us that when we grew up, we'd need a better answer then because. Maybe if they had we'd have tried harder. Maybe if they had we could have got some practice time in. But they didn't. So we were stuck with Because. And now when people ask us Why, we say Because, and they think we have a stammer. They think we're only half done, and what they don't know if that we're stuck.

Stuck in that land of Because.

Think of the time we'd save. The money. The pain and suffering. If we could end every discusion with Because. Everyone would be happier. The whole world would be a better place.

But then again, in our 6-year-old minds, anything is possible.

Why?

Because.

This was very quick and a bit raw. Not as much as I would have liked.