The Energizer Bunny | Teen Ink

The Energizer Bunny

November 26, 2010
By Victoria Bonagura BRONZE, Mattituck, New York
Victoria Bonagura BRONZE, Mattituck, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has a role model, a person that inspires them to achieve greatness. It may be a famous athlete or an adult that has impacted your life in a unique way, but in my life it’s my grandmother. I admire her for her independence, energy and strength.

Some people are completely independent and free. It’s important to be one’s own person and to do things yourself, rather than always relying on others to do them for you. My grandmother is a great example of this. At the age of thirty-five, she was married with two sons (one of them being my father) and had an alteration business out of her house in Floral Park, altering clothes and bridal gowns. She wanted to learn how to drive so she could be self-sufficient and do things at her leisure. My grandfather refused to teach her. Instead, she went to a driving school. She failed her road test five times, but did not give up. Her determination helped her pass the sixth road test during Hurricane Donna, one of the largest hurricanes of the time. Soon after, she went to work in the bridal district of New York City and started her own shop, Bonne Bridals. Grandma Millie was one of the first women of the 1960s to be a business owner. She managed to own her own shop and still run the household. Grandma survived her husband and a male companion of ten years.
Grandma Millie has an amazing amount of energy. It seems as if she is the Energizer Bunny in human form. She always has to be doing something and even hours after she has done it, she is still vivacious and wanting to do more. At the age of 86, she has a part-time job as a seamstress for Priscilla of Boston Bridal Shop and works 3 to 4 days a week. Additionally, she still runs an alteration business out of her house, goes to bingo twice a week and does other various activities. She cooks daily and loves to be in the kitchen. She taught me how to bake from scratch and has made me the baker I am today.
Inner strength is an amazing quality. It makes difficult situations easier to deal with. No one’s life is perfect, and at times one must be strong for their own sake and the sake of others. Grandma lived through the Great Depression. She knows what it’s like to not have food in the house and how to deal with economic hardship. Also, Grandma Millie experiences stressful times, such as when she has to finish altering an abundance of bridal gowns for her work and for her home business.

My grandmother has many qualities, such as independence, energy, and strength. She has taught me so much and I am forever grateful to her. She is an inspiration to many. Grandma Millie accomplished so much in her 86 years of life and I hope I can do the same.

The author's comments:
My grandmother inspired me to write this piece because of her amazing life stories that have deeply influenced my life in a way that I will never forget.