Heroes Are not all Capes and Gun Shots | Teen Ink

Heroes Are not all Capes and Gun Shots

By Stormyflight GOLD, Arlington, Ohio
Stormyflight GOLD, Arlington, Ohio

I finally admited God was God
-C.S Lewis
Humans are amphibous. Our spirit makes us eternal while the animal binds us to time.
-C.S Lewis

Its funny, how two seconds after you do something you, can become so ashamed of it. For instance, my neighbor came over tonight, said his wife was in a ditch and didn’t have her cell. I thought “sweet, late night scavenger hunt, icy roads, bad vision, friend in need,” you know, typical wannabe hero thoughts. But no, he needed me to sit in his house and guard his two sons. Disappointed, I try to pass the job on to my sister and join the hunt. Sister said no, parents said heck no, and I fell to my knees in frustration and sucker punched my bow flex. Hand, knees and pride now sore, I sit here and type away my frustration. And in doing so I contemplate what it really means to be a ‘hero’. It’s not doing the dangerous stuff, or the heart pounding, I-am-going-to-die scary jobs. It’s about doing what needs to be done. It just so happens however, that many things that need to be done are terrifying and dangerous. Take bomb techs for example; they are heroes, but disarming deadly explosives is a scary job that just happens to need being done. And so with that logic I can say that watching my neighbor’s kids while he hunts for his wife in bad weather is in some ways heroic. But really it just needed doing.