The Skirt | Teen Ink

The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Bex24 BRONZE said...
Bex24 BRONZE, Toronto, Other
This was a wonderful piece. I can relate so much to this. We should always be comfortable being who we are, and not try to mould ourselves to what the world or the media dictates. You'd be surprised at how much more respect you garner when you dress and act in a way that shows that you have respect for yourself. Great job!

Lola_Sveroski, Manschef, Ohio

I am an author. Normal was out of the question by the age of three.

I loved it. If only they could bottle and sell feelings such as those you have laid out for the world to see.

Striker GOLD said...
Striker GOLD, Wichita, Kansas

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who care about you and forget about those who don't."

I can relate to this article. I would call myself a tomboy and I hate wearing skirts. Keep being yourself and keep writing.

makayra BRONZE said...
makayra BRONZE, Berkley, Massachusetts

"We can never stay mad at people who make us laugh"

i'm glad to hear that i'm not alone in the decisions i make. to wear a t shirt instead of a halter top and jeans rather than skirts. individuality is a gift, its nice to see you have it.

paperflowers said...
paperflowers, Imaginary, Indiana
good for you! I would hate to wear what everyone else was wearing. I concentrate on ignoring what everyone else is wearing and I wear whatever I feel like wearing that I think looks good. I think miniskirts are ugly and I don't know why everyone (except my friends, for some reason) seem to like them...

hoodiequeen14 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming

My favorite personal quote is " Today will only happen once, MAKE IT WORTH IT!!!"

I like wearing t shirts and jeans, but I feel embarassed to wear what everyone else is wearing and my friends love me for that

redsoxandsunshine SILVER, Hamilton, Massachusetts
I think so many girls can relate to this, I can. 2 years ago I would only wear ratty t-shirts and jeans, a year ago I was very superficial and only cared about what others thought, and now I have found a balance. I realize I like to look nice, but I'm not going to sacrifice who I am for that. I'm developing my own style inside and out!

MarielAntoinette BRONZE, Charlottesville, Virginia
When I first started reading this, it seemed juvenile and banal. My opinion quickly changed as I kept reading. It's deep, you're deep, but do not hasten to limit yourself by saying "I'm not one of those girls". It's judgemental and cheating yourself, just like calling your glasses dorky. Don't hold yourself to fabricated ideals of modesty, coolness, sexuality, anything!

Also, you don't always have to "be" yourself. Sometimes its cool to slip on a persona and BE that flirty girl for a night. Just putting that out there.

Great work. Keep your power of self-perception sharp, its a gift.

Ahh...the Superman T-shirt. Dare I overanalyse?

Someone_Who_Is_Loved GOLD, Mount Forest, Other

This quote is one I made up.....
"You can't climb a mountian without a harness." It means that you can't go where you want to get in life without the help of your friends or family.

Good choice! I wouldn't have bought the skirt if it didn't fit who I was.

Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink BRONZE, Gueydan, Louisiana
WOW it sounded like u described me.....only wear contacts

LYLAF said...
It's probably just a metaphor. Remember that she discovered it didn't change her; that's anything BUT superficial, if you ask me.

kennedy_nicole BRONZE, Hancock, Maine

uhm....no? and awhhh.

wow i can relate to this story so much! but im not really the nerd type..but i dont ever ware anything but t-shirt and jeans...i think that this is very great.....good job!

sophietle BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters." - Seneca

You've captured perfectly the way a lot of us "nerds" feel about our clothes. Every once in a while I get tempted to try the "extreme makeover" you always see in the movies. Never works. Feels a lot better to just be me. Great job, keep it coming!

xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

Personally... I don't agree with this article. It's a bit superficial to think, firstly, that who you are is based on what you where. Second, wearing something different won't change your personality. And obviously, just buying a skirt won't change your entire appearance. As someone says, "Getting new clothes takes minutes. Getting a new look takes time."

noelleism PLATINUM, Russellville, Alabama

I can not dwell on the past, and I will not live on what the future may hold, but yet take comfort and find perpose in the second yet to come.

O.M.G. O.M.G. O my gosh.this is me. Im modest I hate to ware shorts in the summer and bathing suits LETS NOT GO THERE!! if I do ware a short skirt I ware tights under it. I feel like some sleeze bag wareing clothes like that. and girls who ware things like that make me blush. I mean thay make it look fun in the movies, but lifes not like that. I love this and I'm deffinately putting it in my favorites. love it :)

MeganAnne PLATINUM, Niskayuna, New York

All my life I've looked at words as if I were seeing them for the first time. ~Ernest Hemingway

This was very good! Relatable for most girls. Good job!

VioletsandVoice, Spiritwood, North Dakota
I'm the kind of person who doesn't really care what anyone else thinks of me so maybe this won't be helpful but... I've never worn a skirt above my knees in my entire life and I feel no desire to change that. A skirt you were for one day does not define who you are

kimmycakes GOLD, Monrovia, California

"never let love bring u down" also "and so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

ok...well i used to be like that...a skirt is dumb just always be urself never change just to fit in just change into something ur comfortable in...i put on a skirt and everyone looked at me as a whore ...thats all skirts do is make u look like one n posibly make u think that thats all it is a whore underneith, and by reading this peice ur not i can tell... :DD

CountryGothic GOLD, Somersworth, New Hampshire

"Once something has been said, it cannot be said in other words." -Aristotle

You know what I think? I think that there should be more people like this today. Girls who are modest and don't show off their bodies so revealingly. You can still look beautiful even if you're conservative. I'm proud of you and you should feel super happy with yourself. There is nothing wrong with ponytails by the way, I've never understood why people associate ponytails with dorky-ness...Oh well. :)

Pillow BRONZE said...
Pillow BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

Nothing says oops like a wall of flame.

Oh wow. That's me. Except I'm not skinny or blonde. I have a different problem. I loved the story/article. It's well written too.