Critical Letter to my Critical Love | Teen Ink

Critical Letter to my Critical Love

By littlelilith SILVER, Dallas, Texas
littlelilith SILVER, Dallas, Texas

"Your perspective may very well be the determining factor in whether you pass the test."

Dear Baby,

I’ve been dating you for more than a year now, and there are a few things that I’ve noticed you could work on. First of all, you say you’re going to kill yourself, and then a few minutes later you’re all happy and normal again. Do you even notice that it takes me several hours to get over how hurt I am? Do you realize that I feel as though I haven’t done enough for you? Do you hear yourself telling me it’s my fault you want to die? Baby, I know life can be rough, but that’s never an excuse to make be feel like crap. Even more so, it’s not an excuse to commit suicide. Yeah, I get it; your life has been hard. But you know what? You probably know someone who has it much worse off than you do, whether you realize it or not.

In no way am I trying to discredit your hardships. What I am saying, though, is that you need to appreciate what you have, because someday you’re going to look back and think, “Wow, I was an idiot for thinking that was a hard time in my life.” I know, Baby, I know. I know this may sound cruel now, but once you’ve matured a little you’ll understand where I’m coming from, I’m sure of it. Again, I’m not trying to be rude when I say all of this. In fact, I’m trying to help.

Okay, off the topic of your self-pity. Anyway, the next thing you could work on is not getting me mad. I mean yeah, there will be times where we’ll get angry at each other, but this is different. You try to get me angry. You’ve told me yourself, you sometimes do it on purpose. I’m not sure if you find it cute, funny, or what, but getting someone mad on purpose is no way to act in a serious relationship. How would you feel if I did that to you? Pretty bad, huh? I mean, this is going from funny to just plain infuriating. Heck, you make me cry a lot of the time when you are “joking.”

Baby, I love you, but all these things you do to get attention are putting a strain on me. They’re stressing me out, almost to the point you’re at. But I never tell you. It’s because I feel like whenever I talk to you, I have to walk on eggshells. I know you’ve told me not to feel that way, but it’s difficult not to, especially when I’ve been hurt so many times. I’m scared of losing you. Baby, you are everything to me, and this letter, if I ever get the guts to actually give it to you, is only intended to help. I love you, and never want us to be apart. I don’t know what I’d do without you…

With all that I am,

Sarah

This is a letter that I'm not sure I'll EVER have the guts to give him. But all of these things needed to be said, so here they are.

Jennypig GOLD said...
Jennypig GOLD, Winslow, Maine

Get living or get dying -Stepen King
We are a little weird and life is a little weird, so when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with our own, we fall in a mutual weirdness and call it love. -Dr. Seuss

Good job, this needed to be said it seems like. Everything gets all balled up inside you a just comes out. and it came out on paper, thats alwyas the best way to vent!

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
Loved, loved the words "walking on eggshells" as some other people have commented. I can relate to that. I also saw that you gave him the letter. That's good that you let him know you're true feelings-that probably took some courage. Good job!

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

well-written, no grammar mistakes that i found. i like the line "walk on eggshells.' thats cool how you ended up giving it to him, and he took it well. keep up the good work!

redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

Good job! That was a really good story!

ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Well-written and really gutsy! I know someone kind of like you're baby, and I know how hard it must be. I hope things are good for you two now[:

littlelilith SILVER, Dallas, Texas

So, I finally gave this letter to him. He actually liked it and wasn't angry at all! :)

WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

If ignorance is bliss, why is our country so complicated?

Well, as far as the writing goes, I think it's extremely well written and deserves the five-star rating everyone who's read this should've given it! And the fact that you have the stones to even write this, let alone give it to him (which I hope you do!) is extremely admirable and I know it'll do both of you a world of good! (:

Kai17 GOLD said...
Kai17 GOLD, Spokane, Washington

*beepbeep*
"Where to, Miss?"
"To the stars."

What to say..........this was well-written, and brought back memories of the past year for me. (A friend of mine dealt with some of the same issues.) Things can't stay this stressed forever; something's gotta give. If you love him this much, tell him everything you've written down.

From a writing perspective, great job. From an emotional perspective, it's brilliant.

im soo sorry you have to deal with this :( but i really think you should give it to him. I hope things get better :)

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

You should give this to him, if this is how you feel. It's really well written and flows very well. Hopefully, this all gets better soon. :)

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Wow, speaking as a guy, I personally would really appreciate it if my (theoretical) girlfriend would write me a letter like that. It would definitely strengthen the relationship for sure. I encourage you to send this to him! And great work, it flows wonderfully!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

I'm sorry you're going through this right now.  Anyway, excellent article.  I didn't catch any spelling or grammar mistakes, so that's good.  I hope your situation improves.

TheHangingGirl BRONZE, Winter Haven, Florida
1 article 1 photo 250 comments

"Poets utter great and wise things that they themselves can not comprehend."

" Walking on Eggshells." I know the feeling. Hopefully you can give this to him :') . I really liked it to.