Critical Letter to my Critical Love | Teen Ink

Critical Letter to my Critical Love

June 26, 2011
By littlelilith SILVER, Dallas, Texas
littlelilith SILVER, Dallas, Texas
5 articles 1 photo 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your perspective may very well be the determining factor in whether you pass the test."


Dear Baby,


I’ve been dating you for more than a year now, and there are a few things that I’ve noticed you could work on. First of all, you say you’re going to kill yourself, and then a few minutes later you’re all happy and normal again. Do you even notice that it takes me several hours to get over how hurt I am? Do you realize that I feel as though I haven’t done enough for you? Do you hear yourself telling me it’s my fault you want to die? Baby, I know life can be rough, but that’s never an excuse to make be feel like crap. Even more so, it’s not an excuse to commit suicide. Yeah, I get it; your life has been hard. But you know what? You probably know someone who has it much worse off than you do, whether you realize it or not.

In no way am I trying to discredit your hardships. What I am saying, though, is that you need to appreciate what you have, because someday you’re going to look back and think, “Wow, I was an idiot for thinking that was a hard time in my life.” I know, Baby, I know. I know this may sound cruel now, but once you’ve matured a little you’ll understand where I’m coming from, I’m sure of it. Again, I’m not trying to be rude when I say all of this. In fact, I’m trying to help.

Okay, off the topic of your self-pity. Anyway, the next thing you could work on is not getting me mad. I mean yeah, there will be times where we’ll get angry at each other, but this is different. You try to get me angry. You’ve told me yourself, you sometimes do it on purpose. I’m not sure if you find it cute, funny, or what, but getting someone mad on purpose is no way to act in a serious relationship. How would you feel if I did that to you? Pretty bad, huh? I mean, this is going from funny to just plain infuriating. Heck, you make me cry a lot of the time when you are “joking.”

Baby, I love you, but all these things you do to get attention are putting a strain on me. They’re stressing me out, almost to the point you’re at. But I never tell you. It’s because I feel like whenever I talk to you, I have to walk on eggshells. I know you’ve told me not to feel that way, but it’s difficult not to, especially when I’ve been hurt so many times. I’m scared of losing you. Baby, you are everything to me, and this letter, if I ever get the guts to actually give it to you, is only intended to help. I love you, and never want us to be apart. I don’t know what I’d do without you…

With all that I am,

Sarah


The author's comments:
This is a letter that I'm not sure I'll EVER have the guts to give him. But all of these things needed to be said, so here they are.