Relationships vs. Friends | Teen Ink

Relationships vs. Friends

August 25, 2011
By MRags SILVER, Hillsborough, New Jersey
MRags SILVER, Hillsborough, New Jersey
5 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Shit happens." ~my mother


What’s so great about relationships? The kissing, holding hands, having sex? What makes them so great? I have always wanted to know. I hate it when I need to explain why I was with my friends and not with him. I hate the hassle of meeting up and going out. Choosing the place, the time, what to wear… everything about relationships just tires me out. Even now at the age of seventeen, I know the guy I date most likely won’t be the one I’ll spend every day with until I grow old and die.

I know he probably won’t like something about me and will want me to change. Change into new clothes? No, he’ll want me to be what he wants me to be. Will it be the sweet girl next door? Or like the slut with the clothes a few sizes too small for her. Such a hassle. Why do people want to be together if they need to change?

I know I probably sound immature, but I’m seventeen not twenty-one. I don’t want to think of marriage and children, heck I don’t even want to think of school. Right now, I just want to get into college and get out fast. Even though I’m young and want nothing to do with relationships, I know why people attract each other. They want the comfort of another’s warmth, the touch of their skin, to remove the feeling of emptiness that they have. To get there people will do anything to make a relationship. Some even wear clothes that show too much skin, dye their hair, change their whole outlook on life. They will do whatever it takes to attract another. However, I am fine alone in my bubble. I have friends.

They may not be my friends all through college, but they are there for now. They were there for my break up. To see the guy who left me crying at a concert. They saw the guy who said he’d be there for me, but who really left me and ran to another girl’s arms. They saw me conflicted with whether or not to have sex with him. Finally, they were there to bring me back. Yea, I might not talk to them in the future when I’m old and have children, but I’ll remember their support and I’ll remember his hateful words as he ran away. My friends are forever, but relationships only last for so long.


The author's comments:
I hope that people will understand that, you do not need to be in a relationship. You can stand alone and have great friends who will help you. Students today do not see this anymore. A lot of the time they create relationships just to have sex. They do not realize that that person may not really want them, but just wants the experience. People need to learn to stand alone.