my life with dysgraphia | Teen Ink

my life with dysgraphia

By carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia
carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

dont give up she will talk someday my friend made this quote she is really cool cause she understands about my sister
it starts with ONE to make a differerence!!! i learned this quote at a leadership camp

ohana means family no one gets left behind

Learning to write was a challenge for me. It was hard to make it readable for the teachers. I was trying but I always was messing up. One summer, I had a special teacher that helped me with writing the letters. It helped, but I still had problems. It made me feel like I was different. I felt like it was a bad thing that I was different. I started using a computer at school but the one they gave me didn't work so well. I didn't like having to sit away from my friends to use the computer. The teachers made me use it but I didn't like it. I didn't feel like it helped me very much.

In 6th grade, we looked at different schools I could go to that would help me. We found one that seemed like a good fit. I started using a Macintosh at school which was what I had at home. I didn't have to go to a desk in the way back of the room and I could stay with the rest of the class and do my work. Other kids had similar problems so it made me feel better about myself as a learner. I learned that I am unique and there is no one else in the world who is like me. I learned that typing actually did help me to learn better. Handwriting is still an option but I can type things easier. I learned that there are many strategies I can use to learn better and make things easier to do. I can ask questions and get more attention because the classes are smaller. Not everyone is perfect. Being different from everyone is not such a big deal for me anymore.

Does anyone know what this is called? Its called dysgraphia.It means having problems with writing/spelling and it does not mean problems with reading. People with dysgraphia may also have dyslexia or attention deficit disorder. We are just as smart as everyone else, we just have problems showing it. Famous people with dsylexic dysgraphia include Pres. George Washington, Gen. George Patton, scientist Albert Einstein, and mystery writer Agatha Christie.

rainbowbutterfly :)

my mom's worked wanted teens to tell about themselves

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

if you could give me a way to email you i'd be honored to have it put in your book as long as you give me credit

Adele said...
Hello, I would love to include this in a book I am writing. Please email me if this would be possible. Many thanks, Adele Devine

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

wow thank you that means sooo much to me

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

AMAZING. That's the only thing I can say. Thanks for sharing this!

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

thanks it means a lot. my school does help students who are dysgraphic but not just people with dysgraphia. wish we had a good system where i live so i could stay with my friends

LNFrance said...
That's great to be abble to testify like This. My son is dysgraphic too.He is almost14 years old now. He work hard to stay in is school, but in france we have a good system for "dys..."kids, which is call PAI = individual project for Kids. With a specialiste the education team detect what is a problem  for the kid and adapt the evaluation process. With this system normaly the kid shouldn't be in academic failure. So it help to be self confident and kid stay with their freind, they don't have to change school.  

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

thanks that means alot

liveincolor GOLD, Gainesville, Florida

You need to be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi

I really like it. :) Good luck with everything.

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

thanks :) i worked really hard on it

Phoenix. said...
Phoenix., Pittsfield, Pennsylvania
Great Job its almost like a small biography!!

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

wow that must be hard for her and you my school is sposed to help me but it can be crazy

AlaskaGirl GOLD, Klawock, Alaska

"Screw the shining armor. I will take my man in dirty camo any day"

Rainbow... I have dyslexia and my sister has dyslexia and dysgraphia and I know how hard it can be... :)

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

thanks that means a lot to me :)

collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin

A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie

wow! thanks you for sharing your story with us. That was really touching. I'm sure many others will benefit and be encouraged with this. Keep on writing! :)